"1980s" look?

Guest John Lasher

Guest John Lasher

I'm planning a project that takes place in the year 1983. I want the photography to have a 1980s look to it (like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club or Spaceballs)

I'm planning to shoot Super35 for a 2.39:1 aspect ratio (ground glass markings will be for 2.35 & 1.77 w/ common topline), mostly in practical locations, preferably with available light. Most scenes are interior daytime, with a few exterior day/night shots.

What filmstocks/lenses should I use?

• Premium Member

I don't know if the film stocks of the 1980's were THAT distinctive, except maybe Agfa XT-320, in which case I'd try Fuji F-400T, which has that softer, grainier look. But the other high speed films of the decade were contrasty and grainy, more like pushed 5279.

To me, it's about lighting and fashion, maybe filtration (tail end of the Fog filter look, beginnings of the ProMist / SupraFrost look, combined with smoke, although the Brat Pack films didn't necessarily have this look.) For some reason, heavy blue backlights with a Fog or ProMist is sort of an '80's night look in my mind.

• Premium Member

I agree that 5279 would be closer to the "look" of the older films like 5247, 5293 or 5294. Push-1 would give a bit more contrast too. As David says, most of the "look" is costuming, makeup and lighting.

The data for the older films is still on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...=0.1.4.12&lc=en

As well as the current color negative films:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...0.1.4.4.4&lc=en