You use what you've got, right?

Mark A. Rapp

I wanted to post again to let you all know that I'm going to use my BL to shoot my short this summer. Thanks to everyone who posted an opinion; I've found this board to be a great resource. Thanks much!

On the advice of many here, I've already taped off the ground glass for a 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll add the letterbox effect in post. I plan this short to be transfered to digital and released to film festivals that support that format, and possibly (with much luck) direct-to-video on a compilation of shorts or something.

Also, I was planning to transfer to Mini-DV, which is what I did with my feature (shot in 4:3) so I could edit with PREMIERE. Is that still okay if I've cropped to 16:9?

New question: Is it better to do color correction on the film at the lab, or do it in the editing program?

One more thing: Anamorphic vs. letterboxing a 4:3 image: What's the difference? I mean, from zero, can someone explain it to me? I'm just not getting it!

Comments? Questions? Anecdotes? :)

Stay tuned for posts like: "What kind of damn film do I need?"

Edited by Mark Rapp

• Premium Member
Is it better to do color correction on the film at the lab, or do it in the editing program?

There won't be no color correction on the film at the lab. What there will be if you wish, is a color correction when outputting your tape at the telecine (transfer to digital). The negative stays as it is.

You should ask the price for this correction because it would be a good idea to have a video master just as good as possible.

You certainly will make some correction when you edit, but what you will edit is what will be on the tape, right ? If some information is missing (imagine an overexposed or underexposed shot) and you don't correct it at the telecine, it will be missing for ever.

Guest Ian Marks

Why not compose so that the original (standard 16mm) picture is free of mic booms, etc., so that you can use the full frame if you later choose? That would maximize your options downstream.

I used to use very thin draughtsman's tape (I think the brand might have been "Formatt" or something like that - obtained at a large art supply store) on the focussing screen of a Nikon still camera to aid in composing. This might be better than blocking things off completely... just my 2 cents...

Right now i dont have the time to explain the ins and outs of Anamorphic. But for many of these questions you might want to pick up a copy of the American Cinematographers Manual. It has the total low down on every format, framing, methods, cropping, peforations etc... If you cant buy one now you might be able to find an older copy around or in a library. it is a great resource to have.