What if KODAK stops manufacturing FILM?

Rajavel Olhiveeran

Kodak has all sorts of problems, we shouldn't see film's future as just tied with Kodak, though Kodak the major player in traditional film and the world will certainly look different without Kodak. There a lots of companies that make film, most in South East Asia and lots of people use film. In recent years a lot of big American shows have started using digital, this is a cultural change, but a lot of shows still use film and new ones are using film too, and almost all commercials use film. This is an American cultural change only and it's to do with economics, creativity and politics and it affects Kodak USA most of all.

I am from India where television uses digital and the film industry uses a lot of film Kodak 35mm, they produce well over 800 features a year and these feature get to parts of the country where there isn't even electricity, the digital revolution that's sweeping the US is not affecting the entire world in the same way. The role of film is changing.

P

India and China – two nations with vibrant indigenous film communities – represent two of Hollywood’s most dynamic and lucrative markets for potential future growth. And as the MPAA figures noted above suggest, Hollywood is enjoying success there, at least for now. What the future holds is far from clear.

A 2009 PriceWaterhouseCoopers report estimated that India had 3,000 digital screens between UFO and Real Image, out of 10,000 cinemas, of which 900 were multiplexes. Other reports suggest the number of digital screens has risen to as many as 5,000, most of which are e-cinema. In India the most recent Harry Potter film was released on 450 screens, according to the report. E-cinema represents had tremendous upgrade for audiences in small rural “theatres” that in the past were worn out 35mm and 16mm prints projected onto sheets or painted walls.

“While smaller US and European cinemas have spent recent years facing a crisis over what to do when the studios stop using 35mm prints, Indian cinemas have been making a rapid shift to [non-DCI] digital projection in a way that is sustainable, including three-yearly replacement of the equipment to allow them to keep up with technological advances,” says a knowledgeable observer. “In particular, rural Indian cinemas have seen 900 percent revenue increases from converting to digital.”

Courtesy : http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/node/2794

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a computer enough in my daily life. I just don't want to use one for filmmaking. I like chemical explosions on acetate when it's exposed to light. This conversation has me clutching my Bolex like a teddy and rocking back and forth... Photoshop didn't replace canvas and brushes, thankfully, and I pray the significance of film as a century old medium is forever honored and supported.

• Premium Member

A 2009 PriceWaterhouseCoopers report estimated that India had 3,000 digital screens between UFO and Real Image, out of 10,000 cinemas, of which 900 were multiplexes.

The problem with this sort of statement it that is very vague about what defines a "digital Screen". "Digital" can mean anything from a cheap data projector to a full-spec cinema model.

Another problem is that they often don't make a distinction between multiplexes that are all-digital, and multiplexes that are simply capable of exhibiting digital movies when required (usually 3-D features). In other words "digital" multiplexes can mean all-digital, or with just one or two digital projectors.

With the plummeting prices of large-screen LCD TVs, in poorer districts it may be more appropriate to install a 60" or so LCD TV, and use Blu Ray distribution, at least for smaller cinemas. In fact legally or illegally, that's probably already happening.

• Premium Member

Dont know if this has been mentioned yet but Kodak have said they are releasing a new Vision 3 stock - it was posted as a comment on the Panavision Facebook page under the one where Panavision talk about still remaining to maintain film cameras

I don't see a mention of it on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

From KODAK

Addressing the Rumors

When a New York newspaper reported that Mark Twain had been lost at sea, he is said to have replied, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

We know the feeling.

There has been much speculation about the fate of Kodak Motion Picture Film over the last few weeks. We at Kodak refuse to let the volatility of the market or the rumors distract us from our mission — to provide the highest-quality tools to tell your stories.

We are still making film — billions of feet of it! Sure, digital technology has impacted how filmmakers approach their work. But Kodak is a company with a long and brilliant presence, all built on groundbreaking science and technology. We are committed to continuing to do so, even in today's landscape where film and digital coexist.

Something else that seems to get lost in the hype: We are more than a film company; we are the innovators who understand image making more than anyone else. We possess critical expertise from our past, which we draw upon for our future. We have some of the brightest and most innovative researchers and scientists in the business working on our products — film and otherwise — to carry us into the future.

For example, our laser projection technology was recently licensed by IMAX. Laser projection technology offers a multitude of benefits to the viewing audiences, and features that help bring your vision to the big screen in better ways. IMAX and Kodak understand the need for this innovation. We are delighted to be working with them to assist with the implementation of the technology into the IMAX product family.

That's not all. We are leveraging Kodak technology and intellectual property to bring an innovative digital asset management solution to market. It's designed for content owners with assets of all formats created over the years.

And we will soon be introducing a new film! A new member of the VISION3 family of color negative films will be added to your film choices. With the latest film technology in the can, you can keep rolling in the most challenging production situations — on set or on location — and maintain a high-resolution image through post and distribution.

Furthermore, with film still maintaining its archival leadership role in preserving the memorable images of the past centuries, we continue research and development toward expanding our archival film products to create a platform of choices for a variety of needs.

We'll have more news on these new offerings soon, so stay tuned!

The bigger picture is: We have a great depth of experience and possibilities for turning 125-plus years of imaging technology and inventive product development into new solutions. Our KODAK DIGITAL ICE Technology in scanners is being used to restore some of the most memorable images from cinema and television history, and our subsidiaries continue to make inroads on preservation and restoration (FPC/Pro-Tek) and visual and physical effects (Cinesite).

Our goal is to continue to show you that Kodak is the go-to resource for the best in image quality and workflow solutions that support your creative intentions — because we know you care.

For a list of projects for which filmmakers are choosing KODAK Film, click here.

We know we can help you accomplish your filmmaking dreams, so contact us. Our worldwide team of Kodak representatives and experts is at your service.

Thank you.

By Kim Snyder

President of Kodak's Entertainment Imaging Division and Vice President of Eastman Kodak Company

Does anyone know if film manufacturing is viable on a small scale?

I wonder, if Kodak stopped making film could someone else set up a small factory with a handful of employees to make it?

Or is it more like making PC CPUs where billions of capital investment and a vast scale is required?

• Premium Member

All of the big manufacturers have pilot equipment which allows them to produce on a smaller scale. Iʼd say there are two leagues with Eastman Kodak, Fujifilm, Agfa, and Harman Industries one; FilmoTec, Foma, Efke, Ferrania, and the two Chinese works the other. Looking at Foma, they could sell ten times as much of Fomapan R 100 for instance as theyʼre doing with more aggressive and better marketing measures. My opinion

Adox has film made by Harman. Maco, Bergger, Ilford, Gigabitfilm similar

Todayʼs film subbing machines produce usable stock after less than a foot of run. Itʼs high tech, yet very rewarding. Couple of miles of web split and perforated gives so many rolls. You only need a market.

An example for poor marketing is the 200-ft. split spool story of Eastman for the Aaton Minima. Not a word about their availability with Kodakʼs web site (except its mentioning in the catalog)

Yes, even color film can be manufactured on small basis. It takes cleanliness, constant lengths of portions, different perforation types available, informed dealers. My opinion

I havenʼt seen cinema slide ads for film products in years.