Extension for Kinoptic viewfinder

Gregg MacPherson

I have the big orientable Kinoptic ACL view finder. I was wondering if it was possible to modify this to take an extension VF. This may mean making the extension as well or just modifying an Arri etc, some of which are really cheap now.

Ignoring the mechanical design issues, can one just extend the tube in front of the eye piece and add another element? If the extension was about 220mm then what elemnt(s) do we need to add, roughly where.

Has anyone done this? Can one modify an Arri extension or an Aaton one?

Cheers

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, Gregg,

I would go with an Aaton or Arri one, because of the optical quality, but above all because these extensions basically all do the same (optically deport a focus point a given distance), so you don't need to reinvent the wheel. The only thing you'd have to worry about is modifying the end of the Kinoptik VF (removing the eyepiece holder, including the iris that closes it) as well as the mounting on whichever extension you opt for.

Easier said than done, but at least the difficult (optical) part of the job is done for you ;-)

Cheers, B.

Hi again, Gregg,

I would go with an Aaton or Arri one, because of the optical quality, but above all because these extensions basically all do the same (optically deport a focus point a given distance), so you don't need to reinvent the wheel. The only thing you'd have to worry about is modifying the end of the Kinoptik VF (removing the eyepiece holder, including the iris that closes it) as well as the mounting on whichever extension you opt for.

Easier said than done, but at least the difficult (optical) part of the job is done for you ;-)

Cheers, B.

Hey Boris,

I can't remember what the SR extension consists of. Did it have it's own diopter adjustment and eye piece? Maybe it's easier to just get an Arri or Aaton camera instead. The ACL II with the big Kinoptik finder is about as heavy as an SR.

Cheers

Gregg.