DOF (In Post) Experiment....

MattC

Alright guys, again I'm going to ask for your help. I'm trying to fake 35mm depth of field in post. I started with the easiest clip (no idea how I'm going to do it to all of them yet, but I'm trying to see if this is possible.

Now, I've stripped away ALL color correction so this is raw footage, done so that you can see the DOF effect better. The compression (Sorensen 3) affects it somewhat but not so much that you cant see the effect and, I hope, judge it for realism. The clip is 3.5 meg so it shouldn't be too much of a strain.

http://www.birthofthecool.com/Testing/dof_test.mov

Please let me know what you think, and if it sucks, why so.

Matt

• Premium Member
Alright guys, again I'm going to ask for your help.  I'm trying to fake 35mm depth of field in post.  I started with the easiest clip (no idea how I'm going to do it to all of them yet, but I'm trying to see if this is possible.

Now, I've stripped away ALL color correction so this is raw footage, done so that you can see the DOF effect better.  The compression (Sorensen 3) affects it somewhat but not so much that you cant see the effect and, I hope, judge it for realism.  The clip is 3.5 meg so it shouldn't be too much of a strain.

http://www.birthofthecool.com/Testing/dof_test.mov

Please let me know what you think, and if it sucks, why so.

Matt

I would probably buy that if I wasn't specifically looking for the realism of the depth of field. :)

• Premium Member

I think what bothers me about it is that it's a little too much blur, I think, for how far my minds thinks the china cabinet is behind the man. Also, the blur kinda of appears on the right of the cabinets. There's almost a line there.

Also, the blur kinda of appears on the right of the cabinets. There's almost a line there.

I'd second that, but add that if at all possible, try and roto the blur edge as close to his face and hair as you can. I realize that's a bit of nightmare since he (and his hair) move quite a lot, but it would help.

However, I don't think there's enough blur for my taste. My brain could tell this wasn't 35mm, mainly because I don't believe your subject's face would be perfectly sharp edge to edge. There would be just a bit of falloff towards his ears, if you know what I mean.

Saul Pincus.

Edited by Saul Pincus

I wouldn't have noticed it on first glance (but you pointed it out)

After viewing it a few times I feel that:

1) Your Actor has a strong resemblence to Steve Buscemi :)

2) If you can bring the blur down a bit it might look better

3) If you can adjust the abrupt line that cuts the image it might look better

4) Nothing (cept 35mm) will ever look like 35mm but your stuff looks good

Good Luck