Cameras used for TV commercials?

Joe Riggs

• Premium Member

Here in Oz RED cameras displaced film pretty quick for the higher end ads, now Alexas are the camera du jour. But often it's the cheapest format the producers think they can get away with. A seasoned local operator recently posted a photo of himself on his Facebook page holding a toilet roll with the caption: "Here's the latest format I've been asked to shoot on". Someone replied "well at least it's two-ply!" :lol:

I can't remember the last time we supplied 35mm gear for a TVC, probably was a Korean crew flying in for the location.

Here in Oz RED cameras displaced film pretty quick for the higher end ads, now Alexas are the camera du jour. But often it's the cheapest format the producers think they can get away with. A seasoned local operator recently posted a photo of himself on his Facebook page holding a toilet roll with the caption: "Here's the latest format I've been asked to shoot on". Someone replied "well at least it's two-ply!" :lol:

I can't remember the last time we supplied 35mm gear for a TVC, probably was a Korean crew flying in for the location.

Hmm yeah, it's either those or the whole DSLR craze.

A lot of everything down here is just a mash of extreme shallow depth of field with someone simply presenting something or plainly saying something with graphics. It's sometimes just extremely cheap and lazy effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Im a DIT in the BIG commercial biz, so i can only speak of digital format... but RED ones have been replaced by EPIC on most of the larger budget shoots.

I still do Alexa but it went from 50/50 (red one/alexa) to 70/30 (epic/alexa)

F35? damn... 5 years ago called.. they want their boat anchor back..