Placed an Order for 5c's & Cinematography

Hi friends i have ordered for a copy of The 5c's of cinematography & Cinematography(3rd Edition)am sure ill learn a lot fom these 2 books.

Now,I want to know What all books there which deals with the subject "LIGHTING". I Want to learn lighting.

Can some one give me a list of books on lighting ??? and share Your memories reading those books.

So from now i can save cash to buy these books before i finish reading the above 2 books i ordered. Since am a student of film school now. i would like to use this period to learn theory behind this art more before working in field.

• 10 months later...

Hi friends i have ordered for a copy of The 5c's of cinematography & Cinematography(3rd Edition)am sure ill learn a lot fom these 2 books.

Now,I want to know What all books there which deals with the subject "LIGHTING". I Want to learn lighting.

Can some one give me a list of books on lighting ??? and share Your memories reading those books.

So from now i can save cash to buy these books before i finish reading the above 2 books i ordered. Since am a student of film school now. i would like to use this period to learn theory behind this art more before working in field.

Start with "Painting With Light" by John Alton. It was written for B&W in the 40s, so it doesn't go into much on color temperature. But it is the best book on lighting I've ever read.

Hey,

I definitely agree with Painting with Light, me and my friends whilst at University used to pick still frames from this book and try to replicate the lighting with whatever resources we had. This was a good way of making mistakes and use of trial and error to create a picture that you want in what is probably the safest environment to do so.

On the other hand, and I should say completely the other hand, reading fashion magazines is a good resource to look at good lighting.

Now I understand that this doesn't necessarily teach you how to light, but in relation to observing good lighting and for ideas it's a great resource.

For example;

http://multiplefashiondisorder.wordpress.com/2010/03/18/vision-of-delight/#more-4569

Also, Storaro's "Writing With Light" is a good option for some kind of theory behind the art form as Vittorio is extremely philosophical when it comes to creating a vision.

Tom.

• 2 years later...

Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting.

More geared toward still photographers, but the concepts are still very useful for our craft - this book goes very thoroughly into the basic fundamentals of how light actually behaves in the real world, very much worth the read.

• 1 year later...