Tobin Milliframe Controller for ACL II ?

Gregg MacPherson

Does anyone know if any of the Tobin Milliframe Controllers can controlll frame rates on an ACL II with Thomson crystal controlled variable speed motor. The camera base has a six pin socket on the right hand side that is supposed to be for "external control"

Thanks for any ideas.

Gregg.

Hi Gregg,

As far as I know, Clive Tobin did not adapt his Milliframe controler to the ACL II's outboard synch circuit. His short-lived ACL motor does accept the Milliframe, though. But it's a very rare item and not a very ergonomic design.

So basically, the only accessory that works with an unmodified ACL II (with its MIPIL pilotable motor) is the extremely rare Eclair BOTEX accessory, which synchronizes the phase of a video signal to the motor's electronics to avoid the roll bar effect. (If anyone is interested, I know where to locate one, btw).

On the other hand, AZ Spectrum does offer a modification of the ACL II (and maybe some earlier versions of the camera) so that it accepts the whole set of Arri outboard control accessories (those made for the 70's and 80's Arri cameras with Fischer 11 pin plug input). I have tried one of these modifications, and I can attest that it's quite functional : the speed variator works even for ramping speed while filming, the 3-digit precision speed controler also works. It's not a cheap modification, but it truly modernizes the camera.

Cheers, B.

Does anyone know if any of the Tobin Milliframe Controllers can controlll frame rates on an ACL II with Thomson crystal controlled variable speed motor. The camera base has a six pin socket on the right hand side that is supposed to be for "external control"

Thanks for any ideas.

Gregg.