getting 60's look for flashbacks

Guest ariel

Guest ariel

I have some flashbacks parts in the film which should look like film from the 60's. old but like cinema not like old news... I probably will shoot with 7279 500T, I'm shooting 16m"m with arri sr2 and I have zeiss prime lenses 12,16 and 25 + zeiss zoom 10-120.

I thought to use only the zoom lens for the 60's. The present time i shot only with the prime lenses. I thought to add some diffusion filter on the lens but I"m not sure which is the best for this, because I don't like so much the idea to use promist filters for this. I think the promist give more modern look. what do you think about the diffusion filters: soft fx or black diffusion. I don't have experience with those, do they look different? I don't want the glory effect of the promist.

but still diffused is not enough. I really want it to look like film that shot 30 years ago. I thought maybe for the telecine to use an older method to what i use usually which gives very good results.

any comments, suggestions... thanks

and... I already shot the present time in the film and i did it by shooting reversal 7250 400t and crossed process. I had this idea to try to destroy the pleasant colors and look from the 60's flashbacks by this method (reversal and cross process) and getting contrastive grainy twisted colors..look. but this look like something old so now I'm afraid that the flashback wont look older...

Yeh... complicated... I need help...

REL

Guest Ultra Definition

How about shooting the 60's stuff normally on negative or the same way you shot the present day sequences, then do some digital manipulation in post -- colors, etc. You can do the change of atmosphere also with sound, to increase the contrast between the two periods; plus you can do a number of other things, depending on what are you're trying to achieve, e.g. a dream sequence, daydreaming, remembering, or whatever. You can light it up differently; it could have a different overall brightness, etc. You can score the two periods differently. Adding diffusion may work too. Try different angle of view for the older period, just wahtever would fit the screenplay.

The 60's were not that long ago to use sepia or anything. I think that you have to look at the script first to see if it should look like a dream sequence, or whatever; than again, so much can be done with music, sound...

40 year old sequence does not really have to look all that differnt as long as you make the transisions between the periods right. Costumes will be different, although some of the 60's stuff is coming back.

If the room is the same; the furniture may have changed; there may be character(s) that no longer exist.

If you're not the director, talk to him; see if the screenplay can be modified a little.

Why did you make your present day footage look older? You are the only one who can answer most of these questions.

Guest ariel

my first idea was to make the past with pleasant colors and pleasant atmosphere. in contrast the present should look like something was damaged, the colors are not nice as before and all the way of shooting is more rough. this is why i thought to shoot the present in reversal with cross process. to get this strange look. but now I'm afraid that the present will look old and the flashbacks with the negative will look modern...

thanks,

REL

• Premium Member

Hi,

Maybe you should consider a low-con stock or flashing. There's a run of ads on TV here at the moment for a telephone directory enquiries service which are clearly designed to look retro, and have low contrast with milky blacks.

Phil

• Premium Member

I'd say you've already got some footage that looks like older stock (soft, grainy, etc.) so I'd let the color neg stuff be sharp and fine-grained and LIGHT it to look old-fashioned, like a slick 1960's color movie.

If the cross-processed stuff is colorful, then perhaps make the 1960's stuff look like it's from a faded Eastmancolor print -- magenta-tinted, faded blacks, no blues left in the image. But not soft & grainy. I once saw a faded 70mm print of "2001" that was amazingly sharp, but pink, faded, with foggy blacks.

Guest ariel

Thanks david,

I think it's a good idea to leave the past sharp and fine grained.

Can you write me more about "LIGHT it to look old-fashioned, like a slick 1960's color movie." what do you mean?

I appreciate your help,

REL