New Superman film shot on film?

• Premium Member

According to IMDB:

Camera: Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL

Film negative format: 35 mm

Aspect ratio 2.35 : 1

So, 5/6 years after the "groundbreaking" Genesis was used on "Superman Returns", the long-awaited blockbuster sequel is being shot on film?

The other interesting thing is that all the previous Marvel Universe Characters (Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four etc were shot on film, but they used the Genesis for Captain America. (And did a vastly better job than was done on Superman Returns, in my opinion anyway).

And of course the Spider-Man reboot is currently being shot on the Epic and The Avengers is going to be shot in ArriRaw on the Alexa.

Interesting times....

The beat goes on....

Yeah, the beat goes on....

I often wonder how the marketing hype would be the other way round...

Imagine for whatever reason mankind had developed digital systems first and had a legacy of 100+ years of its use and then came along film with its randomly placed 'pixel' structure that moved about frame to frame and so on...

'not just in acquisition, but in projection too!'

'no longer bound by a silly grid!'

you'd have digital stuff telecined to film for flat bed editing

fancy that (if you will ?)

According to IMDB:

So, 5/6 years after the "groundbreaking" Genesis was used on "Superman Returns", the long-awaited blockbuster sequel is being shot on film?

It's not a sequel to SR at all, and Nolan who loves film is producing. I don't see the shot-on-film aspect as being anything odd at all.

Now the next Bond being shot on digital, THAT seems seriously weird to me, even with Deakins aboard.

According to IMDB:

It's not a sequel to SR at all, and Nolan who loves film is producing. I don't see the shot-on-film aspect as being anything odd at all.

Now the next Bond being shot on digital, THAT seems seriously weird to me, even with Deakins aboard.

Guest Stephen Murphy

It's not a sequel to SR at all, and Nolan who loves film is producing.

And Zack Snyder is also a big film fan so that helps. I find it more interesting that it was originaly slated as a native 3d production and now its switched back to 2d film.

• Premium Member

And Zack Snyder is also a big film fan so that helps. I find it more interesting that it was originaly slated as a native 3d production and now its switched back to 2d film.

It's not entirely clearly whether Man of Steel is going to be released in 3-D or not

However, Captain America is far and away the best 3-D feature I've ever seen (live action anyway) and that was shot 2D on the Genesis. The trick is, you have to re-shoot just about every scene without the actors (or any other bits that move independent of the background) so the computers can fill in the holes created when generating the artificial perspective.

I strongly suspect that once film makers get the hang of doing this, the benefits of shooting digitally will be eroded, and there will be a resurgence in the use of film. This has happened numerous times in the past with TV production, there is no reason to think film making will be any different.

It ain't over until the fat lady drops her knickers folks....

I'd like to believe that. All this selling off of film camera equipment at fire sale prices reminds me of how Edlund and co picked up, what, half a mil worth of vistavision stuff for fifty or sixty grand while setting up ILM.

Could be a new era of own-your-own equipment, on a small scale anyway.

I'd like to believe that. All this selling off of film camera equipment at fire sale prices reminds me of how Edlund and co picked up, what, half a mil worth of vistavision stuff for fifty or sixty grand while setting up ILM.

Could be a new era of own-your-own equipment, on a small scale anyway.

Thats ironic! Not sure if you knew but all the ILM stuff was sold off very cheaply in a bancruptcy sale the other day:

http://www.westauction.com/auction/all/id/626

love

Freya

Thats ironic! Not sure if you knew but all the ILM stuff was sold off very cheaply in a bancruptcy sale the other day:

http://www.westauction.com/auction/all/id/626

love

Freya

I knew Kerner went under, but didn't know that all that stuff went away already. Geez.

I've been messing with a script about the origins of ILM for over a decade now (did 26,000 words of copy on the subject for an article back in the 90s, only half of which wound up being published, so there is plenty of good source material, with a few bits very much at odds with the 'official' accounts.) Maybe I should knuckle down and finish it before there's another generation that thinks everything VFXwise was done with 1s and 0s.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of blasts from the past, I'm just wondering what I should charge the facilities house that wants to rent my 16mm. Steenbeck for a year, or even buy it. They're thinner on the ground than when I got it from Pinewood five or six years ago. Let's see, £20,000 new.....

Myself and a friend bid on several lots and eventually won a single lot from Kerner. We are in Los Angeles and drove up to San Rafael to pick up our loot and were shocked and awed to find that Kerner was in fact the origin of ILM. Furthermore, much of the gear we have gotten was certainly used on many cinema classics to have come out of ILM, but who knows exactly which ones. The most exciting part, undoubtedly, was talking with other people who were claiming the respective lots they had won themselves. It turned out that a lot of them were ILM veterans who were sad to see the liquidation and wanted to buy up a lot of the gear they used to work with. These guys were incredibly humble and had amazing stories dating back to the production of the original Star Wars through all sorts of awesome movies. Not only were the stories amazing, but so were the seemingly endless ingenious proprietary construction and configuration of electronics and film equipment to pioneer the effects. With these guys, there was no impossible. We started rolling video on our phones of Marty, one of the main engineers for 30 years, talking about some of the gear we got and how it was used. Really amazing experience.

I really hope the latest Superman looks better than Superman Returns did. I was very disappointed with that.

I watched the Blu-ray a couple of weeks ago and it had more artifacts than the Smithsonian.

No wonder with that poor compression from WB at 15 Mbit/s average VC-1. No decent version available till this day.

They did not even bother to reencode for the new Superman box set. :angry:

Myself and a friend bid on several lots and eventually won a single lot from Kerner. We are in Los Angeles and drove up to San Rafael to pick up our loot and were shocked and awed to find that Kerner was in fact the origin of ILM. Furthermore, much of the gear we have gotten was certainly used on many cinema classics to have come out of ILM, but who knows exactly which ones. The most exciting part, undoubtedly, was talking with other people who were claiming the respective lots they had won themselves. It turned out that a lot of them were ILM veterans who were sad to see the liquidation and wanted to buy up a lot of the gear they used to work with. These guys were incredibly humble and had amazing stories dating back to the production of the original Star Wars through all sorts of awesome movies. Not only were the stories amazing, but so were the seemingly endless ingenious proprietary construction and configuration of electronics and film equipment to pioneer the effects. With these guys, there was no impossible. We started rolling video on our phones of Marty, one of the main engineers for 30 years, talking about some of the gear we got and how it was used. Really amazing experience.

Great that you had such a special time!

What did you win?

Would love to watch yr camera phone interview!

love

Freya

No wonder with that poor compression from WB at 15 Mbit/s average VC-1. No decent version available till this day.

They did not even bother to re-encode for the new Superman box set. :angry:

I know and that's a real crime. Warner Bros need to go back to many of their earlier Blu-rays and do them again...properly this time.

Cheap ass bastards.

There are so many Catalog titles that WB need to re-visit, Superman Returns being just one of them. I would love to see a better version of Swordfish, Good Fellas, Syriana and also their TV Programs such as Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. At least with the New Superman movie just round the corner there's a chance they may well release a better version of SR.

I know and that's a real crime. Warner Bros need to go back to many of their earlier Blu-rays and do them again...properly this time.

Cheap ass bastards.

Agreed. They defintely need to remaster Nolan's Batman films. I watched The Dark Knight this weekend on Blu-Ray and found it somewhat waxy and DNR'd, with edge halos as well.

• 1 month later...