Interior. Night. Hallway scene?

Hello,

I am shooting an Interior Night scene at a hallway. Wondering what are some ways I could light it?

At first the subject will be stepping into a hallway of an apartment, walking down a long corridor and finally entering the kitchen.

In the hallway there is no windows, just one practical (main motivating light?)

When the subject walks through the corridor, it's pretty dark there (what could be the motivating light?)

finally entering the kitchen..

Wondering what are some ways I could light this?

Thank you in advance,

Hey Simona.

Just making sure I got this. So you dont have enough light, the location has no windows and you need to add more light to your scene but you only have 1 practical motivated light.

Well if you have no windows the only option is to add a few more practicals, (maybe a standing lamp, candle light) with these practicals in place you can a add a few soft lights( kinos) into the scene to get the right amount of light., all depends on what look you are trying to achieve.

If there are doorways off of the hall, it would be easy enough to open the door and toss a light inside that room aimed into the hallway.

You could do the same thing from the doorway that the talent enters the hallway from, assuming that he/she does not close a door behind him/her.

Yet another option is to put a light directly behind the camera and bounce it up into the ceiling. You could aim it either at the existing practical to reinforce it or you could aim it at an empty part of the ceiling to either suggest a second unseen source or to provide some fill.

If it's just the light level you're worried about, you could always put a higher wattage bulb in the existing practical (though make sure it doesn't exceed the socket's rating). If you want to soften the practical up, you can tape a piece of diffusion over it (assuming you don't see it in the shot) or toss a china ball over the bare bulb.

If you don't see all of the ceiling in the shot, you could rig a coop light or some Kinos to the ceiling.

I don't know if this would make sense for your specific situation, but you also have the option of having the talent carry a source of some sort, like a flashlight or a candle.

Toby's silhouette idea and Teegan's suggestion to add more practicals (a string of Christmas lights around the ceiling is something that Teegan didn't mention) would also work.

Plus you can combine any or all of these ideas. It really depends on what will work best for the story.