Bolex Rex-5 Spring Mechanism

flavio filho

Hi everybody.

I got a Bolex 16mm Rex-5 fully overhauled, and will still run a test to see how it goes.

But I was playing with it (and running at 12fps without film, of course).

And wondering how many rounds would be the "normal" to wind a Rex-5 model?

The Rex-5 I have I wind it 18 full rounds until I fell it getting hard to wind. Then I stop.

But I've read somewhere that the "NORMAL" to spin it 11 times and that is enought to run around 25 seconds.

Anyway, maybe was another H16 and not exactly a Rex-5 that I saw?

Is there any difference between how many rounds you have to wind on different Bolex models?

Thanks in advance,

Flavio

Edited by flavio filho

• Premium Member

All the Bolex H cameras have a distinct stop in the wind and in the unwind direction. It looks like you got one which somebody removed the spring star from. That stop starwheel sits on the spring housing. An H runs for about 27 seconds at speed 24.

Edited by Simon Wyss

A H16 should take 21 turns of the winding crank to fully wind the spring.

It should come to hard stop when fully wound.

Otherwise it is not adjusted properly.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Great, Jean, Louis.,

I've counted properly, and it is actually 21,5 turns. :P

Is that OK?

Thanks,

Flavio

My Rx5 takes 21 winds. I'm actually in the habit of mentally counting off the winds when doing a full wind between shots. If shooting something unscripted where time is of the essence between shots, and I'm trying not to miss anything important, I wind really fast. Helps to know when I get near the end of winding so that I don't hit it the end point too forcefully.

My Rx5 takes 21 winds. I'm actually in the habit of mentally counting off the winds when doing a full wind between shots. If shooting something unscripted where time is of the essence between shots, and I'm trying not to miss anything important, I wind really fast. Helps to know when I get near the end of winding so that I don't hit it the end point too forcefully.

Yeh, but hang on - if you can count 21 that means you hit the end of a wind, which is what you're trying to avoid in the first place huh.gif

Do you use the footage counters ?

I know what you mean by hitting the stop while at full throttle winding ! feels like you're about to rip off the crank - a lot sturdier than they look huh... I got a feel for the cameras, and learned to be able to maintain a conversation while I did it, but to begin with it was like replacing the ball and shot in these pics with the winding crank:

funny-sports-faces-63.jpg

129196801874708734.gif

Haha! Cool...

The Bolex Rex-5 rocks, isn't it?

I remember once with my first Bolex Rex-5, I forgot to unlock from O to MOT. Then I winded in a while, felt was too hard... then I unlocked and notice how stupid I was...

Luckly never felt anything wrong with the camera... and never forgot to unlock it. Not sure but maybe this could cause serious damage or "unbalance" the cameras on shooting?

I'm not too much experienced on Spring Cameras, but I can say I do love the little bastards, and the REX 5 is for sure the BEST of them.

Another thing if you might be able to help, please:

I was looking for ADAPTOR RINGS to put another lenses on the C-MOUNT of my REX-5...

- I believe there's some C-Mount > Arri STD Lens... But not sure about the NIKON lenses? Am looking on the web. But so far I've found only one..

- Do you guys know of best Adaptors for Arri STD Lens, and Nikon 35mm Lenses? I'm looking forward to use my Arri Std, and rent some Nikon 35mmto to shoot something.

Thanks, guys. ;)

F

Haha! Cool...

The Bolex Rex-5 rocks, isn't it?

I remember once with my first Bolex Rex-5, I forgot to unlock from O to MOT. Then I winded in a while, felt was too hard... then I unlocked and notice how stupid I was...

Luckly never felt anything wrong with the camera... and never forgot to unlock it. Not sure but maybe this could cause serious damage or "unbalance" the cameras on shooting?

I'm not too much experienced on Spring Cameras, but I can say I do love the little bastards, and the REX 5 is for sure the BEST of them.

Another thing if you might be able to help, please:

I was looking for ADAPTOR RINGS to put another lenses on the C-MOUNT of my REX-5...

- I believe there's some C-Mount > Arri STD Lens... But not sure about the NIKON lenses? Am looking on the web. But so far I've found only one..

- Do you guys know of best Adaptors for Arri STD Lens, and Nikon 35mm Lenses? I'm looking forward to use my Arri Std, and rent some Nikon 35mmto to shoot something.

Thanks, guys. ;)

F

Yeh, but hang on - if you can count 21 that means you hit the end of a wind, which is what you're trying to avoid in the first place huh.gif

Do you use the footage counters ?

I know what you mean by hitting the stop while at full throttle winding ! feels like you're about to rip off the crank - a lot sturdier than they look huh... I got a feel for the cameras, and learned to be able to maintain a conversation while I did it, but to begin with it was like replacing the ball and shot in these pics with the winding crank:

Well yeah, I guess most people would try to avoid hitting the end of a wind. I don't try to avoid it if I have a shot that goes for 25 seconds that I hope is worth burning film for though! Also if there's not time between shorter shots to re-crank the wind arm, then I'll often hit the end of a wind. This is for unscripted stuff. Footage counter, yeah I keep an eye on that. The frame counter, not so much.

They are sturdy, but I'm still a little cautious. I completely stripped the winding crank's threaded hole on an early model Bolex when I tried to give it a wind. I had bought it off Ebay on a whim. I think I gave it a few winds, it would not run, so I tried to wind a bit more, and pop! I did not force it too hard. Really.