The Story of Film: An Odyssey

Mei Lewis

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-story-of-film-an-odyssey

I just found out about this so I missed the first few episodes but there are 5 online now.

It's a documentary about film making and films, the bit I'm watching now is talking about Stagecoach influencing Orson Wells.

The blurb says

"Series Summary The Story of Film: An Odyssey

The Story of Film: An Odyssey, a 15-part series written and directed by award-winning film-maker Mark Cousins, is the story of international cinema told through the history of cinematic innovation.

The series provides a worldwide guided tour of the greatest movies ever made; an epic tale that starts in nickelodeons and ends as a multi-billion-dollar globalised digital industry."

Probably worth catching while it's online.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to episode 9 now and really enjoying it. Got a long list of films I need to watch now.

The series is based aon a book and I looked for it on Amazon. As well as the usual paperback and hardcover versions for reasonable prices there's one copy for £5000!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Film-Mark-Cousins/dp/1862058571/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321476617&sr=8-4

I really wanted to like this.

But the monotone, the often poorly shot and low quality footage, and the odd mistake that comes from approaching the subject from a academic view point without much understanding of the technical side of film put me off... (I've done Film Studies 101).

I really wanted to like this.

But the monotone, the often poorly shot and low quality footage, and the odd mistake that comes from approaching the subject from a academic view point without much understanding of the technical side of film put me off... (I've done Film Studies 101).

I suspect academics are more into the "text" than the writing of the "text".

• Premium Member

For everyone outside the UK unable to watch this, try the Stealthy Firefox plugin. It seems it may have slowed down my connection some when it's running (hard to tell with my very poor ISP), so make sure you're not running it unless you're hacking into the BBC's fine programming. Ah, I do love the BBC. A shame it's so hard to watch elsewhere.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stealthy/

• Premium Member

Ooops, my bad. I originally installed Stealthy to watch "The Camera That Changed the World" on BBC, and "Odyssey" wound up under my BBC bookmarks. So let me get this straight, you have two channels that offer interesting fare? Then you've definitely got us beat...