schneider lenses

kevin jackman

okay now Ive been offered some schneider lenses for an arri. they are being sold at a distance and so ill have to get somebody to eventually check them out. before i go there i want to make sure they are for 35mm. the guy says they are but I know he is selling them fro people that shot 20 years ago. there are 2 50mm, 75mm and 28mm. the pics i have so far arent great but i did notice the 2 50mm's look different and one has a red triangle with the rest of the numbers on the front. one of the 28's has the triangle as well. is there any way i can tell that they are for 35mm from a distance? what do i look for?

• Premium Member

Schneider have a very good on-line archive of all their old lens brochures, including their cine range:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm

About a quarter way down the page are 2 pdfs on "Kino-Objektiv".

Most of the time you can differentiate 16mm from 35mm by the aperture/focal length combination, so for example 2/75 will be for 35, while 2.8/75 or 3.8/75 are for 16. A 28mm is for 35, while a 25mm is for 16. The 50mm is tricky since it seems there is a 2/50 for both formats. I'm not familiar enough with Schneiders to tell you what to look for. Probably the simplest thing is to ask the seller to point the lens up to a bright window with half closed louvres or blinds and move a piece of paper behind the rear element until it forms a sharp image. If the image circle is larger than a postage stamp it should cover 35mm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

okay now Ive been offered some schneider lenses for an arri. they are being sold at a distance and so ill have to get somebody to eventually check them out. before i go there i want to make sure they are for 35mm. the guy says they are but I know he is selling them fro people that shot 20 years ago. there are 2 50mm, 75mm and 28mm. the pics i have so far arent great but i did notice the 2 50mm's look different and one has a red triangle with the rest of the numbers on the front. one of the 28's has the triangle as well. is there any way i can tell that they are for 35mm from a distance? what do i look for?

Kevin,

In my experience, every 28mm Schneider I've ever run across was for 35mm. Also, the 50mm Schneider's I've seen, even the ones that came on the Arriflex 16S, also covered 35mm, and I had the same experience with the more common 75mm Schneider. Not familiar with the 75mm 2.8 or 75mm 3.8.

IIRC, the lenses with the red triangle were some of the earlier generation lenses. Something also to keep in mind, some of the earlier Schneider lenses operated the same as the Cooke lenses from that period, meaning when you focus, the whole lens barrel rotates. Not a problem if you're using them with a camera with Arri standard mount sockets (just make sure you lube the sockets well), but can become an issue if you want to put a PL mount adapter on them. You will need a special (and more expensive) PL mount adapter like the one Les Bosher makes for the Cookes, or one that ARRI made for a while to use with the Arriflex 16SR3.

Best,

-Tim