Chris Doyle

Marcus Joseph

I was recently speaking to a cousin who said he saw some documentary of Chris Doyle telling some film student 'shut your mouth you haven't read my book' which I found hysterically entertaining.

His work is quite awe inspiring, I'd love to know of any docos/special features I should check out featuring him or maybe just opinions on some of his work you might like.

Edited by Marcus Joseph

Here's a great doc on him called "In the Mood for Doyle".

He's a very interesting guy and a huge inspiration for me. His body of work and how it's progressed over the years is fascinating. I'm especially a fan of his work on In the Mood for Love, Fallen Angels, Last Life in the Universe, and Limits of Control; all are highly recommended if you haven't yet seen them.

Edited by Austin Serr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Marcus.

I to am influenced by Christopher Doyle. In The Mood For Love, one of my all time favourites, as a cinematic experience. I also highly recommend Chungking Express and it's companion piece Fallen Angles, there is a nice carry over joke between these two films. I think there is a documentary on Chris Doyle on Chunking Express on the DVD, featuring his photographic collage artwork, but I have yet to track down Fallen Angle's on DVD, which I am desperate to do. Also if you get The Limits of Control, there is an excellent fly on the wall making of documentary of the film released on the UK version, which features Doyle at work, at one point showing him using his interesting, custom made, hand held rig. I believe there are some interviews on You Tube with Chris Doyle and Director Wong Kai Wai, discussing there collaboration on In the Mood for Love, while at Cannes Film Festival. Hero is another film that Doyle lensed, this time with Director Zhang Yimou, which incorporates the use of colour themes throughout, personal, stunning and epic all rolled into one.

• 4 years later...

I like most of the films he did, i like the rawness and energy in them.

I even like and sometimes understand his "philosophy" and approach to filming.

Exploring the space, energies and so on.

Seems the intuitive and reaction to the moment and space are

more important things to him to discuss then what lens/camera/filter/light he used.
In the interviews I've seen and red, can't remember him going specific on gear and technique.

On the other side, i find him sometimes very confusing when listening to him in interviews.
His behavior, jokes and "language" (as in "pardon my language") sometimes are out of place.
More or less intoxicated, the poor moderators/interviewers having hard times bringing him back on track at the event. :)

I keep asking myself how is it possible for someone to work with him? :)

Here is Chris together with Anthony Dod Mantle guests at .. i forgot where,
talking craft, art, Q&A, and a lot of weird Doyle moments. :)

HERE 'S LOOKING AT YOU,KID - Anthony Dod Mantle & Christopher Doyle

Regards

igor

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think he plays up that .. I don't care about technical stuff..aspect.. part of his persona.. but some times he lets slip the obvious .. he knows all of the techie side.. and has deep a understanding of what film can do..

Love his work.. even stayed at Chungking masions many years back, when the airport was in Kowloon .. in homage.. but dont be fooled.. he does know all the techie stuff too..

• Upvote 1

Regarding his knowledge on technical stuff, he said, in Chinese, in his interview:

"Don't ask me about cameras, I don't know them. I rely on my assistant for that."

in another interview, he said camera is just a tool.

In one of his English interviews, he said many youngsters don't understand color theory.

I think color theory is his strong technical knowledge.

He shot HERO and IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, he is really something, even if he appears like a half drunk mad man.

Yeah thats his image for sure .. sorry I cant recall exactly what interview.. I think it was about the the feature he shot in the US.. where he did actually "let on" that he knew alot about the camera,s and the various types of film stock.. the real evidence being the end result.. there is no way you get footage like "In the mood for love" and not have a pretty good technical knowledge about film and camera,s..

• Upvote 1