Have Just Started Off !!!!!!

Rohtash R chandel

hey guys, I have been following up this forum for quite a long time and have finally decided to go Independent after assisting various Dops here in India,looking forward for all the advice you guys have to give, I am certainly nervous, and one question that keep bothering me is; where, how and in what direction should I start( as far as look of a project is concerned )will it happening naturally or should I need to awns few quest. before I decide.This one question pushes me on back foot every time,as I am not from a film school I find hard to put chain of thought in correct order, any ideas how to get ideas rolling, what should be the core of thought when it comes to "look" of a project, thank you !!!

Edited by Rohtash R chandel

what should be the core of thought when it comes to "look" of a project, thank you !!!

I don't have as much experience under my belt as many people here but in my opinion the "look" of a film should foremost be complimentary to the story you are telling. The mood and tone of the cinematography should strengthen the story. As for what that "look" may be, I find it helpful to just watch films with a similar tone and then try to emulate or adapt them in your own way.

Thanks!! The idea to bring it up here was to get some experts' advice and suggestions, but seem not many are interested, anyways, well I do that myself too, means watching the films which has kind of look I desire for,a movie is good reference. what I want to understand here is how would one decide " This is how I want my film to look like". I read David's detailed shooting procedure, he shared on the forum for his film "Big Sur", right at the beginning of it he says that he and director has kind off agreed on a look, which he has described in detail followed by how he intend to achieve it and how he achieved it in the end, that all is fine.I am really curious to know what they do to zero on to a look, what procedure?? may be it is something one gains with experience but thn there must be a certain process and I am sure involves lot of research work too, but where does one start as far as finalizing a look is concerned.

Edited by Rohtash R chandel

Thanks!! The idea to bring it up here was to get some experts' advice and suggestions, but seem not many are interested, anyways, well I do that myself too, means watching the films which has kind of look I desire for,a movie is good reference. what I want to understand here is how would one decide " This is how I want my film to look like". I read David's detailed shooting procedure, he shared on the forum for his film "Big Sur", right at the beginning of it he says that he and director has kind off agreed on a look, which he has described in detail followed by how he intend to achieve it and how he achieved it in the end, that all is fine.I am really curious to know what they do to zero on to a look, what procedure?? may be it is something one gains with experience but thn there must be a certain process and I am sure involves lot of research work too, but where does one start as far as finalizing a look is concerned.

Start by deciding to make a movie you personally would be willing to watch repeatedly, mostly because you will have to in the editing process. But also because, if you can’t stand your own film, you can’t expect others to.

But without training, it will be tough to go from raw idea to realized project. There is a language to film that is hard to pick up on by just watching a lot of good movies. You have to go out and make them and hang out with people who do, all while being ready to make a lot of very public mistakes. Just keep track of what works and what doesn’t and you will develop a “look.”

thanks Stephen, HHmmm I like what you said about a movie which I would be willing to watch repeatedly, make sense, I guess it was stupid quest. to ask, but i felt like knowing how rest of the people think about it.

Last month I shot two projects the first one was simple to comprehend and execute for a simple reason that my director was a pretty smart hard working guy, he had locked a look and style for the project and had all references lined up to discuss and pick ideas from before we went on to shoot, on other hand on second one my director left every thing on me to decide, so here I was clueless where to begin, I did manage to achieve desired results in the end but i guess i took very unplanned path,tried different things, some worked some didn't, but was a great learning experience in the end, I have been talking to people for while now and have got great insight in to the matter, most of them believe it comes with experience( as you said be ready to make lot of public mistakes)

Start by deciding to make a movie you personally would be willing to watch repeatedly, mostly because you will have to in the editing process. But also because, if you can’t stand your own film, you can’t expect others to.

But without training, it will be tough to go from raw idea to realized project. There is a language to film that is hard to pick up on by just watching a lot of good movies. You have to go out and make them and hang out with people who do, all while being ready to make a lot of very public mistakes. Just keep track of what works and what doesn’t and you will develop a “look.”