Wisconsin and 3-D

Cesar Rubio

This is going to be a rather lengthy post, but it will be my last here, so please "bear with me" if you will...I've been testing out Sony Vegas 11 for 3-D editing...and I could easily resume my impressions in a single word: WOW!

That $550 USD (upgrade is only $150) software will change the game of 3-D movie editing forever! You can do anything you need to do in a 3-D editing environment. It'll take any resolution, any frame rate and almost any video codec in the market. And it will do it as a "good boy" silent and without complaining a thing about it...:-)

It'll just get the job done. Period.

I can see many guys in the industry scratching their heads with Vegas 11...good bye to your expensive and "proprietary" "Hollywood level" 3-D NLE's...

Where is Sony Vegas from?

Madison Wisconsin (at least their headquarters are there).

One very famous and well known Cinematographer in Hollywood, once told me that in Wisconsin there were only cows and people only made cheese there. Well he was right about one thing, Wisconsin produces the best cheese in the USA!

He is the guy that you can"Ask ANYTHING"...anything about 2-D that is, because of 3-D he doesn't have a clue (at least he didn't back then in 07)...

When I started my MVC's 3-D project and forum (davidrubio3d.com) he said that I could not be "real", that it was impossible for a single guy to work on such project, and that I was a big "corporation" using Cesar Rubio as a "facade"....or something like that, but that's the main idea.

Anyways, I saw him in September of 2009 while I was visiting the CBS studios in Los Angeles CA. He was doing a production there...I approached him and offered my hand as a salute, and introduce myself . I said:

Hi: "D" I am Cesar Rubio, now you know that I am REAL.

He was very surprised and kind of in shock to see me...I think that he wasn't sure of what my next move will be...

We talked for a little bit (he was having food being served to him and ready for lunch, so I did not wanted to be in his way for too long...you know EATING is first, before anything or anybody...:-)

He wished me luck with my project and I left. So him and I are "OK" now...good, there is nothing better in this life than to make peace and win over your "enemies", like some one very famous said once.

Now a days most people don't read History or care much about it seems...

I'll give you a short "ride" in 3-D History regarding Wisconsin...

1875 Wisconsin Dells WI. USA.

When Mr. H.H Bennett opened his photography Studio in Wisconsin Dells. That man revolutionized stereo photography forever. His work and techniques are the basis for many 3-D Photographers and Cinematographer. He was straight guy, parallel shooter, side by side, 1/30th rule. NO BS!

If you want to learn how to do 3-D properly, study Mr. Bennett's techniques and admire his beautiful stereo work. Then when you make your first Million bucks with your 3-D Cinematography work, please donate 1/30th of that to his H.H. Bennett Museum (that is struggling to survive, and if it wasn't for the Wisconsin State government, it would be closed by now)

1947 Milwaukee Wisconsin USA.

The David White Camera Company introduced the best selling stereo photography camera of all time, the venerable Stereo Realist!

I don't really know if modern 3-D digital camera manufacturers (still or video) are aware of the Stereo Realist, or know a thing about stereo at all!

What's that with some new cameras having 10mm Stereo Base? I just can believe it, it's beyond my comprehension and it's almost like a sub real nightmare that I want to wake up from!

2006 Cambridge Wisconsin USA.

The introduction of the first MVC's 3-D system.

Such system was the basics of other 3-D systems that came later on...

Machine Vision Cameras are used now in Motion Capture 3-D and Stop Motion 3-D movies all over the world.

And sorry guys if this sounds like I am "bragging", I am not. I just want to "straight" things out for the record.

I spent like $50K USD in such project, and thousands of hours in research, tests and unpaid work, time that I probably should have spent with my kids and my wife instead...

Did I ever received recognition from my work, or even a "thank you" note from anybody in Hollywood?

NOPE.

Will I ever? I doubt it.

Instead of that, there are powerful forces that wants to "silence" me....and probably they will succeeded soon. They have been trying for more than 2 years now...and they are getting close to achieve their goal.

But you know what?

I WON!

Yeap.

I could only sell one of my MVC's 3-D systems, to a guy from New York city.

That is the most important sell a company could ever make in it's history. The number ONE.

I will be forever grateful with that man who trusted in me and my work. He now is one of my best friends.

Josh Klatt.

Thank you man, you rock and you are a super talented Stereographer!

I only wish that my kids can admire your 3-D work one day in the BIG Screen!

Here, you can still read about my MVC's 3-D project:

www.davidrubio3d.com/MVC's for 3-D

There are some MVC's manufacturers that will introduce new 4K cameras next year. Will I be there to see it? I don't really think I will. But I don't have too. I already SAW the future of 3-D movie making 5 years ago...

Such cameras will change the Digital 3-D Cinematography movie making forever.

Uncompressed Raw, at least 65mm Ortho Stereo Base for a side by side configuration. What else do you need?

Heck, you only need 3K Bayer resolution for a 2K Cinema delivery...

I think that the "perfect" 3-D digital camera system was already invented in 2006. At least the basics for it.

Now the work is for you guys to carry on and make improvements. Don't let anyone rob you of your dreams. If you want to make a 3-D movie, go get a Fuji W3 and start making your own tests in your "backyard"...

I was laughing very much the other day when someone mentioned that with today's technology even a "fat girl from Ohio" could make a 3-D movie! LOL

While it sounds funny, it's TRUE! ;-)

From now on I will "take it home", and whatever comes next I will post it in my blogs. Here I will only reply to existing topics that I have already started, or if some one asks for my input.

Thank you very much to the owner of this forum, Tim Tyler and all the moderators for your excellent work in this board of Cinematography exchange of information, and for being against "censorship" in all it's forms.

Tim is running one of the best sources for Cinematography in the world, that is free of "fan boys" for the most part and of biased opinions.

I wish this excellent board to continue to be one of the best sources for Cinematographers (and aspiring ones like myself) and be one of the single best sources for "reason" in the Cinema world. To keep things in balance and in "perspective"....

I've been in a kind of a "hurry" for the past month or so...and I wanted to "spited it out" all what I had inside me...while I still could...thanks God I succeed in that too.

I don't have much else to offer anyways, I am just an "average Joe" and a "nobody" in the movie making industry...

The only two things that I think are really important for you to see, is a comparison test I did comparing Uncompressed Raw/RGB at 8,12 and 16 bit. I saw no difference at all....or what I could visible care anyhow. 8 bit Uncompressed it's just fine.

And some test I did years ago comparing 24, 30,48 and 60 frames with True PROGRESSIVE capture.

I don't think anybody could do that back then with the cameras of that time..anyhow it's interesting too see and compare the "feel" of the different frame rates.

But like I've already said, it will be in my blogs. Not that I want to "drive" traffic to them. I don't care for that, and I will never put advertising in them just like I never did with my forum (that reached 2 million pages views in a little bit more than 3 years of it's existence)

Well at least no from my part, but I don't know what Google or Wordpress might have in the "cooking" for free hosted blogs in the future...

Well, it was a good ride all along, I had my fun along the way and enjoy it.

Like John Lennon said in one of his songs..."Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."

My final advice to you (taken from the 300 movie)

NEVER SURRENDER!

Cesar Rubio.

Cambridge Wisconsin USA.

http://dna-rubio-3d.blogspot.com/

http://dnarubio3d.wordpress.com/

So no comments hum?

Yes, I understand that it's rather difficult to comment in such a delicate issue like this one. I started this 3-D project "alone" (but later on got help from many software and hardware engineers in the MVC's industry) and it seems I will take the consequences from it all alone too.

It's just like when we start in life, we come alone (for the most part, except when twins and others are born almost at the same time) and we must depart the same way...alone and naked.

I made a few mistakes in my previous post (like many in my whole life), and I cannot edit the post...just like I cannot "edit" or change my story either...

Here is a reviewed one (as they are in my blogs). Probably it will still have many errors as English is a second language for me, even in Spanish I make orthography errors all the time ;-)

CR.

I've been testing out Sony Vegas 11 for 3-D editing...and I could easily resume my impressions in a single word: WOW!

That $550 USD (upgrade is only $150) software will change the game of 3-D movie editing forever! You can do anything you need to do in a 3-D editing environment. It'll take any resolution, any frame rate and almost any video codec in the market. And it will do it as a "good boy" silent and without complaining a thing about it...:-)

It'll just get the job done. Period.

I can see many guys in the industry scratching their heads with Vegas 11...good bye to your expensive and "proprietary" "Hollywood level" 3-D NLE's...

Where is Sony Vegas from?

Madison Wisconsin (at least their headquarters are there).

One very famous and well known Cinematographer in Hollywood, once told me that in Wisconsin there were only cows and people only made cheese there. Well he was right about one thing, Wisconsin produces the best cheese in the USA!

He is the guy that you can"Ask ANYTHING"...anything about 2-D that is, because of 3-D he doesn't have a clue (at least he didn't back then in 07)...

When I started my MVC's 3-D project and forum (davidrubio3d.com) he said that I could not be "real", that it was impossible for a single guy to work on such project, and that I was a BIG" corporation" using Cesar Rubio as a "facade"....or something like that, but that's the main idea.

Anyways, I saw him in September of 2009 while I was visiting the CBS studios in Los Angeles CA. He was doing a production there...I approached him and offered my hand as a salute, and introduce myself . I said:

Hi: "D" I am Cesar Rubio, now you know that I am REAL.

He was very surprised and kind of in shock to see me...I think that he wasn't sure of what my next move would be...

We talked for a little bit (he was having food being served to him and ready for lunch, so I did not wanted to be in his way for too long...you know EATING is first, before anything or anybody...:-)

He wished me luck with my project and I left. So him and I are "OK" now...good, there is nothing better in this life than to make peace and win over your "enemies", like some one very famous said once.

Now a days most people don't read History or care much about it, it seems...

I'll give you a short "ride" in 3-D History regarding Wisconsin...

1865 Wisconsin Dells WI. USA.

When Mr. H.H Bennett opened his first photography Studio in Wisconsin Dells. That man revolutionized stereo photography forever. His work and techniques are the basis for many 3-D Photographers and Cinematographers. He was a straight guy, parallel shooter, side by side, 1/30th rule. NO BS!

If you want to learn how to do 3-D properly, study Mr. Bennett's techniques and admire his beautiful stereo work. Then when you make your first Million bucks with your 3-D Cinematography work, please donate 1/30th of that to his H.H. Bennett Museum (that is struggling to survive, and if it wasn't for the Wisconsin State government, it would be closed by now)

1947 Milwaukee Wisconsin USA.

The David White Camera Company introduced the best selling stereo photography camera of all time, the venerable Stereo Realist!

I don't really know if modern 3-D digital camera manufacturers (still or video) are aware of the Stereo Realist, or know a thing about stereo at all!

What's that with some new cameras having 10mm Stereo Base? I just can't believe it, it's beyond my comprehension and it's almost like a sub real nightmare that I want to wake up from!

2006 Cambridge Wisconsin USA.

The introduction of the first MVC's 3-D system.

Such system was the basics of other 3-D systems that came later on...

Machine Vision Cameras are used now in Motion Capture 3-D and Stop Motion 3-D movies all over the world.

And sorry guys if this sounds like I am "bragging", I am not. I just want to "straight" things out for the record.

I spent like $50K USD in such project, and thousands of hours in research, tests and unpaid work, time that I probably should have spent with my kids and my wife instead...

Did I ever received recognition from my work, or even a "thank you" note from anybody in Hollywood?

NOPE.

Will I ever? I doubt it.

Instead of that, there are powerful forces that wants to "silence" me....and probably they will succeeded soon. They have been trying for more than 2 years now...and they are getting close to achieve their goal.

But you know what?

I WON!

Yeap.

I could only sell one of my MVC's 3-D systems, to a guy from New York city.

That is the most important sell a company could ever make in it's history. The number ONE.

I will be forever grateful with that man who trusted in me and my work. He now is one of my best friends.

Josh Klatt.

Thank you man, you rock and you are a super talented Stereographer!

I only wish that my kids can admire your 3-D work one day in the BIG Screen!

Here, you can still read about my MVC's 3-D project:

www.davidrubio3d.com/MVC's for 3-D

There are some MVC's manufacturers that will introduce new 4K cameras next year. Will I be there to see it? I don't really think I will. But I don't have too. I already SAW the future of 3-D movie making 5 years ago...

Such cameras will change the Digital 3-D Cinematography movie making forever.

Uncompressed Raw, at least 65mm Ortho Stereo Base for a side by side configuration. What else do you need?

Heck, you only need 3K Bayer resolution for a 2K Cinema delivery...

I think that the "perfect" 3-D digital camera system was already invented in 2006. At least the basics for it.

Now the work is for you guys to carry on and make improvements. Don't let anyone rob you of your ideal of pursuing your dreams. If you want to make a 3-D movie, go get a Fuji W3 and start making your own tests in your "backyard"...

I was laughing very much the other day when someone mentioned that with today's technology even a "fat girl from Ohio" could make a 3-D movie! LOL

While it sounds funny, it's TRUE! ;-)

Well, it was a good ride all along, I had my fun along the way and enjoy it.

Like John Lennon said in one of his songs..."Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans."

My final advice to you (taken from the 300 movie)

NEVER SURRENDER!

Cesar Rubio.

Cambridge, Wisconsin USA.