Arri 35-3 or Moviecam compact

Anton Dedikov

• Premium Member

Exactly.

If you need synch sound go with the Moviecam Compact. It's a reliable, versatile, relatively modern studio camera. Arri were so impressed with the design they bought the company and based the Arricam on it.

The 35-3 is a MOS camera from the 80's, precursor to the 435. Very steady, great for high speed, but loud as a lawnmower.

Two very different beasts.

Regarding the sound i am more about to make it in post since i do not have good sound people around. It is ok. The speed of the camera would allow me to use it more in the future if i need to shoot some music visuals or others. But all in all what does it make sense to have nowadays? I know the arri 3 is a workhorse hardly to break, very reliable so what about the moviecam? Moviecam states to be maintenance free, don't know about arri. For this project i would accept both cameras since the sound is not the issue and the speed 50fps is enough. I do not have a technician on set so that may be an issue.

Thanks for answers!!

Can someone share some in depth experience?

Moviecam is considered a service free camera so is it the same with arri?

Important thing is to have very easy to operate camera.

May be i shall ask which camera would you prefer if conditions allow you to choose both?

How does the movement compares?

• Premium Member

There's no such thing as a service free camera, particularly when they are high-precision mechanical ones. Have you ever heard of a service free car or a service free aeroplane?

Both Arri and Moviecam movements don't require constant oiling like some Panavision ones, perhaps that's what you've heard called service free.

But they still need periodic maintenance by highly trained technicians, especially if they are being worked a lot, or used in harsh environments where sand, dust or salt can contaminate them. That's one of the reasons why generally only rental houses with their own service departments have owned these sorts of cameras.

To answer your questions, the Moviecam would be less reliable than the Arri, simply because no camera is as reliable as an Arri. B) Also sound cameras are inherently more complicated and require more tuning because they have the added criteria of needing to be quiet. But if something needs fixing on either one, it won't be cheap.

Easy to operate? Sure, on both you just press the run button! Maybe read the manual first though.

In some ways it's like you're asking: I want to go for a drive. Which car should I buy, a Formula One or a Rally car?

Why don't you rent one that's appropriate for your project and give it a test drive?

Hi Dom! Thank you.

{simply because no camera is as reliable as an Arri. B)}

That is a good point!

I've heard that you need once in a year oil a moviecam and that is it. So, low maintenance.

I'd love to do a test but i d'not have an easy access to the rental house (need to drive 400 km)

And afterwords you can't exchange one test with years of experience in the field, that is why i want to weight the pros and cons basing it on your experience.

If i would be a car racer i would know what car suggest for what particular reason.

I am understanding that both cameras are of the same class (not taking into account sound), same weight, the image is the same stable, with slightly higher reliability of the arri.

Do you know if it is the same price range nowadays?

• Premium Member

The MOS arri should be cheaper than the sync Moviecam; just as it's less complicated of a piece of kit. However, were I to go buy, I'd certainly go for the moviecam, if only to have the option to shoot sync when/if I need to. And while and Arri is my personal favorite camera, one mustn't forget that the Moviecams eventually evolved into the Arri-cams ;).

Even if you never shoot sync; I am positive you can find a few people who would be interested in renting out a sync camera here and again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Adrian! I think it is an important issue. I got to know that arri took the moviement from the moviecam and now it is arri ST! I have also seen the moviecam it looks a way advanced, quiet, light with non complicated servicing. So in comparison the arri looks like very strong brand. The strong part of the arri 3 is 120fps. May be someone has worked with both cameras for a long time and can share his field experience.

• Premium Member

Another advantage of the Arri is the preponderance of their magazines on the market. Those magazines work with Arri II, III & 435 (probably more) so you can find them everywhere and cheaply. Plus once you get a few, if you upgrade the camera they will work on the latest Arri cameras too. With film cameras coming down quickly in price, you could pick up a high-end modern Arri in a few years for much less money probably.