Technique question

• Premium Member

I noticed Wong Kar Wai shot this way in at least a couple movies: blurry motion, at near regular speed. How would you shoot that? Do you set FPS to lower than usual, and then speed up afterwards? Or what else can you do?

This is what I'm referring to:

Yes, shot at low frame rates like 6 fps and step-printed back to normal speed. Doing that gives you more strobing because of a lack of motion information and more blurring due to a longer shutter time per frame.

Thanks, David! I'm glad you gave me that word 'step-printing', I wasn't sure what that was called. It makes sense now.

Yes, shot at low frame rates like 6 fps and step-printed back to normal speed. Doing that gives you more strobing because of a lack of motion information and more blurring due to a longer shutter time per frame.

Anybody know the technique in post for achieving this digitally? I know Slumdog did it shooting on a dslr at 12fps then step printing back I believe. Anybody know the method for achieving this in a standard NLE shooting at a lower frame rate on a RedMX for example? Or when you shoot on a RedMX at a lower frame rate on a 23.98 time base does it achieve this automatically?

Anybody know the technique in post for achieving this digitally? I know Slumdog did it shooting on a dslr at 12fps then step printing back I believe. Anybody know the method for achieving this in a standard NLE shooting at a lower frame rate on a RedMX for example? Or when you shoot on a RedMX at a lower frame rate on a 23.98 time base does it achieve this automatically?

I've done this a on the Red at 6fps and with a 7D shooting stills at approx 6-8fps.

The Red treats the low frame rate footage as 'fast motion' and you need to slow it down in post.

Last time I tested FCP, AE, Nuke and Compressor and found the most pleasing results to my eye were simply with the speed control in FCP and frame blending on (which doesn't make any sense from a step printing perspective).

Maybe AE, FCP, Nuke etc... have options where you select no frame blending and so on - but if you like doing things the hard way though a technique would be to save all the frames as stills then set up a script or something in Photoshop/Applescript ...

Or by hand laugh.gif

FCP has the option of frame blending on or off. The point I was trying to make was to me it looks better with it on. :unsure:

I don't think photoshop would be the most efficient way of doing this as iirc all the above software can slow footage down by simply duplicating the frames.