Before you buy... good write up on real price and issues.

Vincent Sweeney

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is worth reading,eloquently sums up the whole situation.

http://salahbaker.blogspot.com/2011/12/clash-of-pr-titans.html

:rolleyes:

I didn't find it eloquent; more a mean spirited and skewed take on events, with hints of character assassination and a refusal to find Red or Redusers at fault in any way.

Epic is designed to appeal to the Digital Stills shooters market [DSMC, remember?] with its lighter form factor , stills auto-focus lenses capability, use of standard tripod with quick plate, DSLR style handgrip, etc etc. All of which make the criticisms of Philip Bloom's approach ill-informed.

IMO.

Edited by dave smith

Im sorry but I cant stand RED users stupid ideoology, dont get me wrong i like RED Cameras but there forum seems to be cultish, its now "cool" to own a RED, and there denial of use of upscalling is anoying it some how pulls of great quality but i mean compared to the alexa its not the same for example. scarlet vs c300

• Premium Member

I think the whole RED thing has pretty much run its course by now; "RED sails into the sunset" I suppose. It was a worthy attempt, but let's be realistic: The battle is now between Film, Alexa and Canon. Let's all try to move on from there...

If you have the time, it's fascinating to read through the whole RED folder from the beginning. All the gung-ho statements that never really came to anything, all the ridiculous claims made by clueless posers trying to pass themselves as working professionals and who eventually disappeared back into the imaginations of whatever pretentious nonentities spawned them; all the scathing and RED-hating posts that are endlessly referred to, but don't appear to have actually existed; all the imbeciles trying to claim a working schedule "with their RED" that would put a CCTV camera to shame. It's all in there, or not, as appropriate, (or inappropriate).

And a lot of really solid information that never seems to be so clearly presented anywhere else. It is really a shame that most people have lost interest; this forum was a vast improvement of the endless one-line content-less sycophanic drivel that makes up the bulk of Reduser posts. Or the worthy but often incomprehensible CML. And a lot more fun too.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure about Canon. What they're doing is good (read all about it in an excellent article from a trusted source!), but they don't really have anything that's pitched squarely at Alexa.

I think they could do better, and I wish they would go ahead and produce a US$50k cinema camera because I believe they have the ability to produce an exceptionally good one, but perhaps it just isn't a big enough market to entice them. I can't say it would me. They may take some lower-end Alexa jobs, but I don't think they'll be taking a big slice out of the Arri pie.

The most significant outcome of all this, for me, is what we discussed at the Visual Impact event last week: what you can now have, for what money, is absolutely astounding. I spent UK£15k on a 4:3 standard-definition camera eleven years ago, and that's more than what a C300 costs, or soon will cost. The price to performance ratio of modern cameras has abruptly spiked, in just a few years, way beyond any improvement seen in the previous hundred years, and I think it's clear that no matter what sort of stuff you're doing, anybody who complains about the availability of good camera gear is being excessively ungenerous.

P

• Premium Member

:rolleyes:

I didn't find it eloquent; more a mean spirited and skewed take on events, with hints of character assassination and a refusal to find Red or Redusers at fault in any way.

Epic is designed to appeal to the Digital Stills shooters market [DSMC, remember?] with its lighter form factor , stills auto-focus lenses capability, use of standard tripod with quick plate, DSLR style handgrip, etc etc. All of which make the criticisms of Philip Bloom's approach ill-informed.

IMO.

Sorry Dave,I'm not sure we were reading the same article.The author of the blog is certainly no Red fanboy,and his condemnation seemed to be equally directed at both parties.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure about Canon. What they're doing is good (read all about it in an excellent article from a trusted source!), but they don't really have anything that's pitched squarely at Alexa.

What I meant was, Alexa will be first cab off the rank, Canon for when all the dynamite goes off or you want the compactness.

I can't help noticing that the bulk of the Top Shelf features that use or have used the Epic, are 2-camera 3-D action pics, where its compactness (and low cost) would be beneficial, particularly during any protracted learning curve. However, after seeing Captain America, a 3-D action movie that was shot flat, with by far the best "live" 3-D effects I have seen, entirely generated in Post, maybe 2-camera stereo rigs aren't the way to go after all.

If the industry chooses that path instead, that considerably increases the range of capture options, film included.

I think they could do better, and I wish they would go ahead and produce a US$50k cinema camera because I believe they have the ability to produce an exceptionally good one, but perhaps it just isn't a big enough market to entice them. I can't say it would me. They may take some lower-end Alexa jobs, but I don't think they'll be taking a big slice out of the Arri pie.

The most significant outcome of all this, for me, is what we discussed at the Visual Impact event last week: what you can now have, for what money, is absolutely astounding. I spent UK£15k on a 4:3 standard-definition camera eleven years ago, and that's more than what a C300 costs, or soon will cost. The price to performance ratio of modern cameras has abruptly spiked, in just a few years, way beyond any improvement seen in the previous hundred years, and I think it's clear that no matter what sort of stuff you're doing, anybody who complains about the availability of good camera gear is being excessively ungenerous.

P

I'm sure they will do better. It would be entirely practical for them to produce a true 1080 x 1920 consumer stills/video camera. As the stills market has amply shown, there is a sizeable market for large-sensor cameras that amateurs may never really understand how to use, but which can be put to good use by Pros.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd give it 4-5 years before true HD 1080 x 1920 video cameras start to appear in the "Surprise Buys" aisle at Aldi's :lol:

I think the whole RED thing has pretty much run its course by now; "RED sails into the sunset" I suppose. It was a worthy attempt, but let's be realistic: The battle is now between Film, Alexa and Canon. Let's all try to move on from there...

If you have the time, it's fascinating to read through the whole RED folder from the beginning. All the gung-ho statements that never really came to anything, all the ridiculous claims made by clueless posers trying to pass themselves as working professionals and who eventually disappeared back into the imaginations of whatever pretentious nonentities spawned them; all the scathing and RED-hating posts that are endlessly referred to, but don't appear to have actually existed; all the imbeciles trying to claim a working schedule "with their RED" that would put a CCTV camera to shame. It's all in there, or not, as appropriate, (or inappropriate).

And a lot of really solid information that never seems to be so clearly presented anywhere else. It is really a shame that most people have lost interest; this forum was a vast improvement of the endless one-line content-less sycophanic drivel that makes up the bulk of Reduser posts. Or the worthy but often incomprehensible CML. And a lot more fun too.

I don't know what your talking about. RED hasn't run its course. Productions of all types are going to be shooting on it for years to come. I was just saying their customer service sucks and they really need to work on it.

• Premium Member

I don't know what your talking about. RED hasn't run its course. Productions of all types are going to be shooting on it for years to come. I was just saying their customer service sucks and they really need to work on it.

Obviously the people who have invested in RED cameras will continue to pimp their alleged virtues, and are bound to get some work, but I think you'll find it's going to pretty quickly turn into a race for the bottom. So far, despite the hype, they haven't had that stellar a track record. The Epic is surely a vastly better camera than the original RED one, but that's not really saying much, and it's also a much more expensive camera. Yes, a handful of 9-figure productions have used the Epic, but a lot more haven't. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is how many people come back for a second helping, so don't count your turkeys until they've all come home to roost....

Even on Reduser, despite the best attempts of the True Believers, the forum has become deadly dull over the last few months, particularly after it was announced that Scarlet was really going to be "Epic Lite". Outside the Reduser-verse, it's pretty much dead in the water.

Yeah, you can call me names, jump up and down waving your Red Banner, trot out the same tired old list of box office duds from has-been producers, or TV series that lasted one season, if that, or endless sh!t music videos of talentless cookie-cutter wannabes and so on and so on, but reality will not budge.

Sorry Dave,I'm not sure we were reading the same article.The author of the blog is certainly no Red fanboy,and his condemnation seemed to be equally directed at both parties.

Perhaps you should have another look.

The article is full of disparaging comments about Bloom and contains no criticism of Red at all.

C'mon, we should all put a bit of salt on everything Bloom is able to write in his blogsphere or anywhere else.

I respect the person and especially what he has achieved, integrity and whatever you want but, even a few minutes ago I've read he is being sponsored by Rode. We all know his connections within the industry, Canon, Sony and so on. Arri is just the latest one. So please, give me a break, please :D Jim Jannard knows very well the error he committed. IMHO he should be more grateful to people like Stephen, as for instance, who cannot have a legion of fanboys as same as Jim or Bloom, but has posted this in these same boards just a few weeks ago:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=54062

And it is not the first time I write it ;-) BTW, I read Bloom's article before all this controversy and didn't change my idea about what I thought then. Not even one comma of my mind. Just not posted for everyone to take a look at.

1st off... I'd be surprised if RED has run it's course. My bet is that we have actually pushed the industry to step up. We will continue to do so...

Keith's comments mean nothing to me. Big posts behind a little mouse.

Andrew's post mean everything to me... he is a customer. I'll do whatever it takes to make him happy and solve his issues.

The Philip Bloom situation was a tragedy. I caused that. My fault. A misunderstanding that went terribly wrong. No excuses. My bad. But it had nothing to do with EPIC's capability.

Stephen owns an EPIC. He is respected here. His comments and opinions matter. Stephen wouldn't compromise his reputation for anything. I'd consider listening to what he has to say.

RED is just beginning. We aren't going away... no matter what Phil wishes.

The amount of biggest budget projects shot on EPIC points to the fact that someone thinks EPIC matters. And the number is growing... not the other way around.

We took care of our RED ONE customers with an upgrade path to EPIC. No other company has ever done that. We have upgrade paths for our EPIC customers to the Dragon sensor. Obsolescence obsolete. Truly.

If you don't like our presentation... I get that. But pretending that RED is done or doesn't matter just isn't reality.

Jim

There are a few significant milestones happening regarding RED.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will be released in 4K. It is one of the best looking movies ever released. (You can be the judge)

The Hobbit will be released in 4K 3D at several locations. That will be a 1st.

Spiderman 4 will be released in 4K is selected theaters...

There are several more major features that will be released in 4K. The list will grow quite significantly in 2012.

Jim

• Premium Member

There will always be a few people who cant handle Epic, it's a huge step forward from a DSLR.

A few people? If you're talking about all the wannabe Spielbergs, that pretty much applies to any professional Digital Cinema camera. Even an F900 is a huge step forward for the average DVX -ophile... :rolleyes:

Not that seems to stop a lot of them. At least if it's their own camera they can't come in Monday morning screaming at the poor bastards at the rental company.... B)

• Premium Member

Big posts behind a little mouse.

Typical. You know you'll never be able to compete with me on a technical level, so you resort to making snide comments about the size of my accessories. I defy you to find a bigger mouse than this one (that will run on a Mac at any rate).

2gwavy8.jpg

For your information, they don't use mice on CSI Miami, and they can turn an 8-pixel surveillance camera image of a license plate from a worn VHS tape into a full-HD image that clearly shows the registration number and the state, and, if the light is right, gives a workable print of the perp.

Keith's comments mean nothing to me.

And that's why it's so amazing that you can still find the time to come over here and respond to them. :)

(Sorry, I think I accidentally pushed another of the "special" buttons on the mouse...)

Keith... Stephen's posts have credibility because he owns an EPIC. You don't. You have been disruptive ever since you pretended to be James Mathers. You forced me to get security protection at IBC 2007. Tim Tyler verified that you were, in fact, James Mathers. You cost me money for extra security at that show. Bad move.

Stephen has an EPIC. He is credible. You aren't.

Jim

Keith... no matter what you post I have proof that you posted as James Mathers. For those that want to look back at what that means... good luck to you.

RED has tried to do something important to the industry. I have to ask what you have done. ???

Jim

• Premium Member

???? If you can produce credible proof that I (or anybody) ever posted here as "James Mathers", I'll retract everything I've ever said about Red, in Pink Whipped Cream on a 1 Acre Black Forest Sponge Cake at a location of your choice. (You to supply the cake, cream, scaffolding and airfare). :rolleyes: