Shipping Equipment

Brian Dzyak

Because of these dastardly tax "incentives," many of us are in the position of having to frequently ship our gear to distant locations far from where traditional production used to take place and where most professionals actually live.

My most recent flight back home cost the company just over a thousand dollars for six checked "bags" (camera case, ARRI case, pelican case, 2 tripods, personal luggage). I carried on two small personal bags. That price was for First Class where I had extra bag and weight allowances. An Economy class ticket would have cost more due to the more restrictive baggage rules.

Clearly, airline baggage fees (extra bags + over weight) add up very quickly. Just wondering what alternatives others here might have to ship their personal/company gear if/when the company isn't just trucking it to and fro. And what are the savings/costs? Do you use a shipping company, like Rocket Cargo? Or FedEx? Or something else?

Because of these dastardly tax "incentives," many of us are in the position of having to frequently ship our gear to distant locations far from where traditional production used to take place and where most professionals actually live.

My most recent flight back home cost the company just over a thousand dollars for six checked "bags" (camera case, ARRI case, pelican case, 2 tripods, personal luggage). I carried on two small personal bags. That price was for First Class where I had extra bag and weight allowances. An Economy class ticket would have cost more due to the more restrictive baggage rules.

Clearly, airline baggage fees (extra bags + over weight) add up very quickly. Just wondering what alternatives others here might have to ship their personal/company gear if/when the company isn't just trucking it to and fro. And what are the savings/costs? Do you use a shipping company, like Rocket Cargo? Or FedEx? Or something else?

My most recent trip was to Moscow with 16 pieces of Steadicam equipment. Due to customs and possible corruption issues my shipper advised against shipping by freight and recommended that I bring everything with me on the plane with an ATA/Carnet. The Carnet cost about $700, but Delta airlines charges just a $50 flat fee for each case of camera equipment (see website). One must provide a production company photo ID to obtain this rate. This rate is good for domestic travel also. Other airlines may offer this rate as well.

Last year shooting in Texas, I drove from LA...

• 2 weeks later...