1000 feet cans for 16mm on cores?

Marc Roessler

Are there any original (preferrably golden) 1000 feet cans for 16mm film from Kodak (or Fuji)?

Those would be great for storing larger reels of 16mm neg (wound on P3 core), as storing it in 1000 feet 35mm cans (Kodak) is a bit a waste of space.

I know that you can buy tin cans in this size somewhere, but I'd very much prefer the golden powder coated kodak cans - those are more appropriate for long term storage (inert coating: no metal dust, no rust, no tin corrosion).

Thanks,

Marc

• Premium Member

Are there any original (preferrably golden) 1000 feet cans for 16mm film from Kodak (or Fuji)?

I know I came across some larger gold cans on e-bay. Kodak does sell some 16mmX800ft rolls so they must make them. The ones I bought must have been for 800ft film on a core as a 800ft reel just does NOT fit. they are not in the Kodak catalog, but perhaps your lab can get them though their contacts

BUT why not use plastic? they are available in inert materials, no rust, and there are even some with a "post" that holds the core so the film is not resting on the edge of the can.

Charles, this is for longterm storage so I'm a bit wary of plastics that may fume off whatever chemical components they might contain. The kodak cans seem to be very inert. Also they tape air tight more easily after inserting kodak's molecular sieves than plastic cans.

Storing two reels in one can: I'd prefer not to do that for both clarity (loose a bit of one head/tail and there goes the info which reel was which one...) and mechanical reasons (the two rolls will rub on each other during each handling, which can cause quite a bit of a degradation of the material...).

Thanks for your replys!

I guess I'll ask my lab. Just thought I'd check beforehand if such 16mm/800' cans exist at all..

Greetings,

Marc

• Premium Member

Charles, this is for longterm storage so I'm a bit wary of plastics that may fume off whatever chemical components they might contain.

I guess I'll ask my lab. Just thought I'd check beforehand if such 16mm/800' cans exist at all..

Yes, I was thinking of the special long term storage cans. I know the CBC for example is gathering all their film clips and placing them on cores in specialy made colour coded cans.

http://archives.cbc.ca/info/archives/archives_en_20.asp?IDLan=1

These are also ones from DANCAN. http://www.dancan.dk/

(Looking at their site just now there "French metal" cans look just like what you were asking for...

They have one at 360 mm in diameter about 14 inches. But they are flat sided unlike the Kodak cans, some of their 35mm cans (the HO series) look like clones of the Kodak cans.