New Canon C300 video

Deji Joseph

Well done test. I like the blunt DSLR comparison. Low-light ability is impressive.

8 bit codec, lack of frame rates, 1080 only... it needs to drop to $10K I would think. The F3 is tough to beat in that range.

Do we know if this camera can record uncompressed HD through a separate recorder? It should be capable.

NOTE:

Canon has apparently done a price drop, more details soon.

I keep hearing rumours about this. I'm actually hearing a price drop of 50%!!!!

Could be wishful thinking but if it really turns out to be true, and they can get the word out there and the right marketing behind it, then it could be massive I think.

They will have to make an effort to overcome the "meh!" of their initial announcement tho.

Do-able tho, and if they are smart enough to do the price drop, they may be smart enough to do the marketing too!

love

Freya

Not holding my breath. Just too good to be true.

Yes, probably no reason to drop below the price of a basic F3. The 10 bit outputs and 444 tend to factor when you want to buy external recorders and upgrade the basic camera. At the basic F3 price, assuming you're happy with recording with the built in codec, the C300 does have the price advantage when you add the solid state recording media to the package, plus you don't need an external recorder to keep the high end HD broadcasters happy.

The price I hear floating around for Europe (could be a rumour) is 12k Euros, some UK dealers are currently quoting £12k + VAT.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There seems to be quite a variation in the UK prices, at least on the web sites. Approx £10k + VAT at one dealer while another has £11.8K + VAT, although perhaps there could confusion over including the VAT at the latter's web site, because that company apparently quoted the lower price at their demo.