Superspeed anamorphics/ Escape From New York

Jarin Blaschke

I'm considering the Panavision superspeed anamorphics for an upcoming shoot and before I'm able to conduct real tests, I watched "Escape From New York", after learning that the film was shot with these lenses. Were any other series of lenses used? It seemed that in some shots, flames flared differently than others. Was the lens ever truly wide open? How was the film exposed and processed? I would assume they shot 5247 - or was the higher speed stock (5294?)available at that time? Also, does anyone know of other films that made heavy use of these lenses?

Thanks - my internet search has so far revealed very little.

Just got off the phone with Frank Ruttencutter who was 2nd unit camera operator. Hell of a nice guy.

He said they used 5247 because that was all their was back then. They shot in available light too and wide open.

About the flares, nobody saw the flares while shooting but of course he caught hell anyway. They eventually figured out is was coming from a streetlight. He was vindicated when the 1st unit did some shooting and had the same problem.

• Like 1