HD Transfers?

Will Eliot

Hey there,

I have 5 rolls of Ektachrome 100d I need processed and transferred. They were shot at 18fps. They are going into an FCP timeline with some 5d footage, ProRes 422, 24fps. Can anyone recommend a place to do the transfer in New York or somewhere on the East Coast? If not, any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Also, will there be any issues with the different frame rates here? First time Super 8 shooter... Thanks,

Will

The only physical place you can walk into that I know of in NYC is Duall and they can give you 720p or 1080i, but not 1080p. There are other places in NYC, but they actually send the stuff out to someone else.

For 1080p...

Lightpress, Cinelicious, Spectra all do outstanding work.

A more budget service would be filmmaker8.com and they certainly do a great job with reversal film.

What he said. Or: They're just 'cross the boarder in Canada, but Frame Discreet is super cool! 2K scans for 35 dollars dude.

And as far as the only issue, there will obviously be the weird sped-up look to everything, but nothing else. Why don't you just put everything in your timeline at 24P, then re-time your specific clips to just run ever-so-slightly slower so they maintain naturalistic movement? I've never done that, but do you think that would work?

Edited by Mark Sperry

Another option for transfer on the east coast (Northern Virginia) is Tom Houston at Filmmaker8:

info@filmmaker8.com

He uses a Workstation setup and has done excellent work for me in 1080 at very reasonable prices. The image is a frame blow-up from a Standard-8 reel from about 1962.

ManSitting.jpg

Claus.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Check our site for some frame grab samples on the main page. (the video samples are from our old SD setup).

Below is some ektachrome 100d. What a great stock :)

Also some cross-processed Tri-X.

If we can help ya out, just let me know.

Justin

cinematographer

8/16mm.2k.film.scans

www.framediscreet.com

super_8mm_ektachrome_100d_ahmed.jpg

super_8mm_trix_7266_hoolboom3.jpg

In the NY Metropolitan area there is another service (in Brooklyn) called DijiFi. I have been meaning to give them a try but have not yet. They use MovieStuff equipment and seem reasonably priced.

Hey there,

I have 5 rolls of Ektachrome 100d I need processed and transferred. They were shot at 18fps. They are going into an FCP timeline with some 5d footage, ProRes 422, 24fps. Can anyone recommend a place to do the transfer in New York or somewhere on the East Coast? If not, any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Also, will there be any issues with the different frame rates here? First time Super 8 shooter... Thanks,

Will