My First Reel

I posted this in the reels/resumes section and didn't get any responses, So I figured I give this a try. I just graduated from Columbia College Chicago with a B.A if film production, with in the last year I've shifted my main interests towards the cinematography aspect of filmmaking. Recently I cut together my first reel and I am looking for some constructive criticism from you guys. All the footage comes from a mixture of DSLR's really wish I could find an opportunity to shoot more film. I kept the reel on the shorter side I figured since I didn't have a whole lot of projects to pick from that it would be better to keep things short and sweet. let me know everything on your mind whether its amazing or if I should just stick to running the craft services table. Thanks in advance!

http://vimeo.com/32356340

I posted this in the reels/resumes section and didn't get any responses, So I figured I give this a try. I just graduated from Columbia College Chicago with a B.A if film production, with in the last year I've shifted my main interests towards the cinematography aspect of filmmaking. Recently I cut together my first reel and I am looking for some constructive criticism from you guys. All the footage comes from a mixture of DSLR's really wish I could find an opportunity to shoot more film. I kept the reel on the shorter side I figured since I didn't have a whole lot of projects to pick from that it would be better to keep things short and sweet. let me know everything on your mind whether its amazing or if I should just stick to running the craft services table. Thanks in advance!

http://vimeo.com/32356340

I like it. Beautifully shot.

Nice. I like some of the shots but here are some pointers if you want my opinion.

Firstly I'm not a fan of not being able to hear what someone is saying so I don't like the opening bit or the shot of the black teacher? Don't know if the dialogue is completely useless or it might fit on it's own but it distracts me when I don't know what they are saying.

Like the POV shot but I don't think it's from the same piece that the next shot is (really nice shot of the girl) and I don't think they should be next to each other as it acts as a jump cut anyway. What did you shoot the POV with by the way and did you have to make the rig?

I would say that in my opinion it could do with more shots as I realise that it's only 30secs long but it feels like all the shots are held for a bit too long and I want to move onto something else.

Have you got some more work you could add in?

Thank you Archie! The POV was done hand held with a 60D and a 17-40mm lens, just awkwardly trying to hold the camera as close to the actresses head as possible, trying to shoot from her line of sight. I agree I felt that the shots of people talking felt a bit awkward at the beginning. I really wanted to just not have any shots of people talking but I didn't have much footage to work with that I felt really proud of, at least IMO. Ill try and cut it a bit faster with v2.0. i'm starting to get more footage rolling in so hopefully there will be a bit more content and a closer to a minute long. What do you recommend for showcasing dolly shots and camera movements since its kinda hard to cut those down on time?

What do you recommend for showcasing dolly shots and camera movements since its kinda hard to cut those down on time?

I'm definitely no pro but a lot of the dolly shots I have seen in reels have been really interesting and definitely selected by the director to add to the story. If it is a dolly shot just for the sake of showing that you can use one and it hasn't been justified then it probably shouldn't sit in your reel as you really want to show case your work.

That's just my opinion and I haven't even cut together a reel since I started studying film!

Check out some of the professional reels on the site that have a lot of work that I envy!

Must admit I did not like the slo mo of the 3 females (?) walking toward the camera, but the rest is gold.

Thanks Daniel, what was it about the slomo you didn't like? the effect? or color? or composition? or?

a mix I think, I just showed up and shot who ever the directors hired. I know the two kids sitting down in the church were friends of a director, the blushing girl and guy were aspiring professionals, and the cross dressers were a group of comedians.