Large Sensor Rentals for Students in the UK

Hi guys,

I have a final project film that will be shot in the summer and I am starting to try and think of some ideas and try and get a crew together from my university.

Does anyone have any tips on where to get equipment from that I could best use my student credentials for a discount. I would really like to shoot on something with a large chip sensor that is not a DSLR and I don't mind paying for it as we can get DSLRs from the uni stores.

I have in mid shooting on something similar to a scarlet, c300, f3, fs100, possibly even an af101.

If anyone has an input or previous experiences I would be most grateful!

Thanks

• Premium Member

I don't know anything about student discounts (I haven't been a student for so long it's all a bit past-tense for me) but I think you're likely to end up on an FS-100. C300 and F3 are likely to be similarly-priced once C300 becomes available, expect around £200/day body only, and I don't really rate the AF101. It's noisy in low light and you may as well shoot on a GH2, which is broadly the same thing.

P

You might be able to blag a sponsorship deal. Last summer I blagged an 8 camera HD flyaway, in return for some photos, it's the way you word it that makes the difference. Don't ask to a hire a camera for free because you're a student, say you're struggling to find resources for your shoot and ask if they are able to offer any help in any way, and work out some sponsorship benefits to offer them as well.

Oh, and don't bother e-mailing any one. Phone, or talk in person.

Assuming they're willing to a deal of some sort, the rental company will probably want to check if you've got insurance cover for the equipment.

What you can achieve will depend on the demand at the time you need the camera and it might be easier with older kit than the latest hot item. Traditionally January was the best time for getting kit for shooting shorts etc.

I don't know anything about student discounts (I haven't been a student for so long it's all a bit past-tense for me) but I think you're likely to end up on an FS-100. C300 and F3 are likely to be similarly-priced once C300 becomes available, expect around £200/day body only, and I don't really rate the AF101. It's noisy in low light and you may as well shoot on a GH2, which is broadly the same thing.

P

Yeh the Af101 doesn't really feature on my radar. I agree that the C300 might be a bit too much of a dream but the FS100 would still be a step up from the DSLRs that I have been using. I have heard the low light is also really nice on it!

You might be able to blag a sponsorship deal. Last summer I blagged an 8 camera HD flyaway, in return for some photos, it's the way you word it that makes the difference. Don't ask to a hire a camera for free because you're a student, say you're struggling to find resources for your shoot and ask if they are able to offer any help in any way, and work out some sponsorship benefits to offer them as well.

Oh, and don't bother e-mailing any one. Phone, or talk in person.

Following from what Brian was saying, check your college's insurance policy. All of the equipment I borrowed was covered under my college.

Interesting idea. Where these behind the scenes photo's? How did they benefit the company?

I'll probably try and explain that in the future I will be making a lot more rentals and try and entice them to see it as a longer term relationship.

Assuming they're willing to a deal of some sort, the rental company will probably want to check if you've got insurance cover for the equipment.

What you can achieve will depend on the demand at the time you need the camera and it might be easier with older kit than the latest hot item. Traditionally January was the best time for getting kit for shooting shorts etc.

Pity that there isn't really any "older" kit when it comes to large sensor digital cinematography. I suppose there is the route of an EX3 style camera with a lens adapter but they are still expensive and the main attraction to the larger sensors apart from the shallow depth of field is the low light capabilities which would be negated with this method.

My uni, as Daniel said, will probably cover the insurance but if not I'm sure I will be able to fund this myself. Thanks for pointing it out though as I will get this checked out.

Thanks for all the input!

The behind the scenes photos were showing engineering students building the cameras and flyaway, and the operational students operating the kit during the shows. There were many industry delegates at the show, so it was good for the companies PR. The pictures will also be used on the rental companies web site along with a brief testimonial from myself.

It's important I mention though that the equipment was kept inside the college at all times. I'm guessing your shoot is being shot outside the university, so you may need to swing it so that the insurance covers third party equipment whilst in and outside the university premises.

Be very careful when promising future business, this can ruin any chance of future negotiations if you don't fulfill what you said you would, and not just for you either. You end up tarnishing yourself, university and fellow students.

The behind the scenes photos were showing engineering students building the cameras and flyaway, and the operational students operating the kit during the shows. There were many industry delegates at the show, so it was good for the companies PR. The pictures will also be used on the rental companies web site along with a brief testimonial from myself.

It's important I mention though that the equipment was kept inside the college at all times. I'm guessing your shoot is being shot outside the university, so you may need to swing it so that the insurance covers third party equipment whilst in and outside the university premises.

Be very careful when promising future business, this can ruin any chance of future negotiations if you don't fulfill what you said you would, and not just for you either. You end up tarnishing yourself, university and fellow students.

Cheers Daniel,

I will have to get onto some of my tutors when the spring term starts and see what they think is best!

Thanks.