British TV should be more like American TV

• Premium Member

Now, I feel fairly safe in posting this, as I suspect my negative opinion of British television output is more than well enough known to deflect any accusations of snobbery. But honestly - this? This?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15975413

Broadly speaking, the idea here is that more US-style local news is a good idea in the UK.

My knowledge of local news in the US is limited mainly to watching KVVU, the hilarious Fox affiliate in Vegas, through a post-NAB-party haze of early morning fuzziness, and I think, if this is possible, they may be distinguished by being more or less the only thing that could possibly be worse than the local news we have now. I'm sure I've complained before that the BBC blows entirely too much of its gigantic funding package providing dozens of largely pointless local radio and television, each of which covers a geographical area you could spit across in which nothing of the slightest interest ever happens. Our local provision, for instance, is a very professionally produced exercise in pointlessness called Look East, presented most often by an elder newsman named Stewart White and his large-jawed sidekick, the inevitably double-barrelled Susie Fowler-Watt. Fowler-watt is possibly the world's most patronising woman, and delivers stories about combine harvester races and charity bake sales in the manner of a primary-school teacher lecturing a five year old about dropping litter. Here's an absolutely fantastic example of the genre, with White and Fowler-Watt at their slightly-constipated best:

You have to be slightly upperclass to become a BBC presenter, and she is such a perfect example of the archetype that you might suspect them of running the show just to reinforce that very point.

By comparison, the vividly tangerine-tinted presenting staff of KVVU are, well, memorable, and in general can there really be anything worse than local news? I don't know. But I do wish the BBC would stop producing specific television coverage of every blade of grass between Land's End and John 'o Groats, and allocate some of the hundreds of millions it must cost to doing something useful.

P

Must be a local thing, quite a few of the news presenters have regional accents, especially on BBC NEWS channel.

That's because they utilize a system of local reporters to cover their area, which I think is a good idea personally.

Phil, the last thing you want is for you news, even if it's local, to end up like our local news. I'm from San Diego, and part of the reason why a film like Anchorman is so funny is that our news really has been just like that for as long as I can remember. An absolute joke.