Mitchell vs 150mm Ball

G'day People,

Forgive my ignorance in this topic, don't know much about Camera support in general

Was considering a Cartoni head with Mitchell compatibility, I myself reside in Australia where i think 150mm ball is predominate as in Europe i suspect,

My RED one personal kit will never really succeed 45 lbs, so 150mm ball makes sense to me, and it seems easier to find legs for Mid Level Spreaders than

with Mitchell flat mounts, i Hate ground Spreaders!!!! only because of location shooting and versatility

I would like to hear your views about this subject, sorry if this topic has been posted previously

Regards,

Dean

Not sure if you are in some sort of hurry, this is for a class question, or what, but I really see no reason with this question in particular, to post it multiple places. It's a question about heads, not a stock you might have underexposed, some sort of horrible mishap, a shoot in 2 hours, etc.

Please follow proper courtesy and the etiquette here of not posting the same question all over the place. It clutters the place up and basically asks people to answer the same question in different spots (think about it). Thanks.

The 150mm bowl should be fine with your rig. If you want to want to use a mid level spreader, its non availability with a Mitchell mount will make the decision for you. I suspect the reason for them not having the option is that the mid level spreader has come from a documentary/news background and the Mitchell is from a film drama/commercials background, which tends to use the heavy duty range of tripods.

Often the Mitchell mount is used on the dolly and having a compatible head is useful for that, but you can get a bowl adapter anyway. As mentioned in the other thread, the Mitchell mount is keyed and much more solid, it's the mount you use with a gear head.

Please follow proper courtesy and the etiquette here of not posting the same question all over the place. It clutters the place up and basically asks people to answer the same question in different spots (think about it). Thanks.

He posted it here because another forum member suggested he should.

rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

G'day People,

Forgive my ignorance in this topic, don't know much about Camera support in general

Was considering a Cartoni head with Mitchell compatibility, I myself reside in Australia where i think 150mm ball is predominate as in Europe i suspect,

My RED one personal kit will never really succeed 45 lbs, so 150mm ball makes sense to me, and it seems easier to find legs for Mid Level Spreaders than

with Mitchell flat mounts, i Hate ground Spreaders!!!! only because of location shooting and versatility

I would like to hear your views about this subject, sorry if this topic has been posted previously

Regards,

Dean

Good question. One element not mentioned is that with a heavier camera/lens/gearhead type (Panaflex/6:1/1000'mag/Panahead) rig, it is quicker for a trained asst. to level a flat-top Mitchell tripod or tweak the 4-way jack screws on a dolly than to wrestle a 150mm ball with a big load. That said, in the 45# range you have w/ your Red you are probably better off w/ a ball head.

On the ground spreaders, I hate 'em too. A carpet square with two grommets and sash cord ties work much better.

• Premium Member

Really? So you're never, ever going to put a zoom on your camera? You add standard stuff to a body like a cinetape, an MDR, an onboard monitor and then an angie 12:1 with a 6x mattebox and it's more than 45# and that's not even including the head yet.

I loathe ball heads and tripods. For 16 they are OK but for 35 go with a mitchell. It sucks when they slip and you have to crank the tie down.

I agree Tom, but Mitchell can be very hard to find in Europe and maybe down under. He might find it impossible to find a dolly without a bowl mount.

That has been my experience in eastern Europe at any rate.

• Premium Member

Hello, Chris Keth!

The Cartoni head should be fitted with a Mitchell adopter plate which is sold by independent shops or rented by rental houses.

The carpet idea instead of a spreader is good.

Good luck,

Natalie

In my opinion, adapter plates generally aren't acceptable substitutes for the correct tools. Adapters just add slop in places where it's not acceptable.

• 6 years later...

I'm contemplating getting a tripod with Mitchell top, since I've found a good fluid head that supports up to 30 lbs, which fits to a Mitchell. Are there any particular drawbacks to a Mitchell mount tripod? Any opinions on Ronford Baker heads and tripods? Thanks for any advice. This is for an Arri IIC.

Mitchell base is industry standard. Rock solid, will not slip. Only downside is that you have to level the head by adjusting the legs of the tripod. It's a little fiddly, but easy once you get the hang of it.

Ronford-Baker are also an industry standard, the tripods particularly. You'll see them on every professional set, although usually in the US, the heads will be O'Connor.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If I hire a small jib/crane and it's made for a 100mm ball, and I have a Mitchell base fluid head - of necessity, as it's the only available type to fit an Arri 2 with underneath motor - will this do the trick in joining the two together? I ask because I have no idea what "claw ball" means. Does that just mean industry-standard 100mm ball? Thanks! https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/144298-REG/Matthews_815121_815121_100mm_Claw_Ball.html