Roger Ebert on Falling Movie Revenues

In the cinema I can see some of the more mainstream films from the last few months, at times I'm told to watch them.

At home I can see films from the entire history of cinema up to the last few months, whenever I want.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the cinema I can see some of the more mainstream films from the last few months, at times I'm told to watch them.

At home I can see films from the entire history of cinema up to the last few months, whenever I want.

And at your leisure.

• Premium Member

The other thing is that going to the movies has become a real chore. Some theatres in some areas have tried to clean things up kicking out problem audience members, but for a while in the 90s it was nearly impossible to go to a film without hearing other people talk or make a nuisance of themselves.

I think the studios tried to aim too much for teenage dollars. And now that teenagers are playing games, and so are their adult parents, the majors have painted themselves into a corner. I don't think even the Harry Potters or latest Transformer offering can save the traditional theatre.

I think not only have TV and films become worse, and not only has the experience gone down hill, but people want something more interactive, or atleast something that will confirm their beliefs and feelings--so much that they'll come back for more.

The other thing is that going to the movies has become a real chore. Some theatres in some areas have tried to clean things up kicking out problem audience members, but for a while in the 90s it was nearly impossible to go to a film without hearing other people talk or make a nuisance of themselves.

When "The Blair Witch Project" was released, I heard about lots of problems with audiences around the country making jokes at the screen and ruining the experience. Here, I only saw that happen once and the ushers kicked the troublemaker right out immediately as if they had been expecting trouble.

This movie was a great audience experience. Everyone would be laughing at a joke then suddenly the theater would be silent once frightening noises began on the soundtrack. And it didn't look much better on DVD or Blu-ray.

• Premium Member

Well, I went and saw "Hunger Games" the other night, and like some one posted in the "On Screen" section of the BBS, it was shot on film using an Arri, and it wasn't 3D, yet that film's doing damn well.

It may be recycled sci-fi (classic Trek) material, but enough new material was injected into it to make it seem new. It's a good film, and the audience was civil.

It was a little long, and the ticket price was a bit high, but it's a decent movie. Hence people are going back to see it.

Well, I went and saw "Hunger Games" the other night, and like some one posted in the "On Screen" section of the BBS, it was shot on film using an Arri, and it wasn't 3D, yet that film's doing damn well.

It may be recycled sci-fi (classic Trek) material, but enough new material was injected into it to make it seem new. It's a good film, and the audience was civil.

It was a little long, and the ticket price was a bit high, but it's a decent movie. Hence people are going back to see it.

Conservatives have been conditioning people to be psychopathic for decades so it's no wonder this story appeals to so many.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the point of paying upwards of $12-15 a ticket to see a movie when you can purchase the same movie on Blu-ray for $15-20?

Really big screen to see the movie the way it was intended. Superior sound system to hear the movie the way it was intended. Communal experience that enhances the enjoyment of nearly any motion-picture.

Really big screen to see the movie the way it was intended. Superior sound system to hear the movie the way it was intended. Communal experience that enhances the enjoyment of nearly any motion-picture.

I hate the communal experience.

Edited by Adrian Samuals

My screen is big enough for me, although I will upgrade to a 120" screen in a few months.

My surround sound system is 9.2 THX is the way the movie was intended and will trample on most cinema sound systems.

I don't like the "communal experience" when it means tweens screaming down their mobile phones when I'm trying to watch a movie.

Superb projector, 100" screen, 9.2 channel THX Select2 Certified surround sound system that wipes the floor with the sound in most multiplexes plus I can watch the movies at MY convenience what more could I get from a multiplex?

• Premium Member

Free commentary track? ;)

Last night, I had the joy of watching a film I shot projected in a multi-plex. It was a short (amongst other shorts, of course) and sadly only off of a blu-ray (no time for DCP, but I digress). I will say, that no matter how nice my theater system at home ever could get. There was something so fulfilling about laughing out loud with a bunch of strangers. I suppose that fulfillment can be hard to get at home, and perhaps it's just my own enjoyment thereof.

Agreed, enjoying a movie with like minded individuals is always fun. It's when you are stuck in an auditorium with a bunch of noisy adolescents when it is not such fun.

I watched Captain America and Thor last weekend and they both looked and sounded unbelievable.

Watched the Avengers over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially The Hulk.

Avoid the 3D if you can, it was pretty bad. Lots of crosstalk and fast moving scenes induced nausea and eyestrain. Certain scenes had that soap opera feel that you get when watching a TV demo in a shop.

Audio was outstanding though.

I have movie nights where friends and family pop round and enjoy a movie. It's great to be able to screen the audience. They all know the rules (no talking or cell phones during the movie) and we can chat about the movie afterwards.

I think it's definitely wiser to spend the money on a decent projector and set up than it is to buy one of those so called smart tvs and still pay for cinema tickets.

It would also be wiser for me to save the $300 I spent on U2 tickets. Spend $20 on the tour DVD instead and put the remaining $280 into some home improvement project that needs my attention.