Cold Weather shooting and concerns

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a short out in Cook, MN. The package I'm working with is a RED Epic, Cooke S4's, etc.

I have a few questions about any issues in the cold with the EPIC and S4's in these conditions. The average temp. during the day will be from 15-32 degrees and can get to -10 below at night.

I haven't shot EPIC in the cold and was wondering are there any issues? I'm kinda gonna be in the middle of nowhere so I wanna be prepped for it.

Also any issues with the TV Logic 5.6 monitors out in these temp.?

Thanks!

Sing,

How's it going man? I heard you were out there shooting something. Came across your post while researching the Epic in similar temperatures. I am as well going out to MN in a couple of weeks to shoot a doc.

How has the camera performed? Any issues? Any advice for shooting in these frigid temperatures?

Thanks man. Hope your show is going well.

• Premium Member

Hello guys.

I have shot with the Epic in almost those conditions (not -10 but -5 / -8) in a commercial in Spain and we tried to keep the camera in a tent with heaters before shooting but it was almost impossible due to the nature of the commercial, so, we ended up shooting with a cover in the camera (not covering the fan, of course) and it worked rather well!. No problems!.

Lenses should be kept in the same condition than the shoot because if you don't do that you are going to suffer (from) condensation.

By the way, I'm sure that it would have worked well without the cover too but you know.. "When in Rome..!" :).

Advices for shooting in that climate:

- Get warmers.

- Get a proper tent with heaters just for the camera crew (of course more tents should be provided for G&E), if your shoot involves waiting, your guys are going to spend a lot of time in the tent, and they will be happy if they can stay in a warm place.

- If you are going to use your lightmeter or colourmeter, bring a lot of batteries.

- Bring a lot of batteries for the camera too!.

- If you have interiors and exteriors almost at the same time, I have found a very good way to avoid condensation in lenses, get the lens in the colder place, put it inside a plastic / zip bag, close the plastic bag hermetically, bring the plastic bag to the warmer place, unzip the plastic bag and you will have your lens ready to work!.

Cheers!.