Friends visiting London

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

You could throw her in a mini cab and say, “Take her where nobody goes!” My only visit to London was in '99 with a group of 15 people on what was billed as a Pub Crawl. On day 2 we toured The Queen's doll collection, or something, at which point 3 of us had had enough and split from the group, hopped in a mini cab, and said, “Take us where nobody goes!” I have no idea where we ended up exactly, it was a small pub surrounded by factories, and there was a cat walking on the bar. Perfect! After that we only occasionally bumped into the tour group at breakfast in the hotel. Our small group of Musketeers kept finding the little places away from the tourist locations and enjoying the company of the natives. That's what made it a vacation, relaxing with no obligations. What is the nature of her trip? Is there anything she wants to see? If there's an attraction in London that you would loathe going to, chances are there's an equivalent in LA that she would loathe going to just to "show someone the town." And chances are it won't create a memorable experience for her. We had a wonderful time in London (and apparently Paris, which I missed due to a drinking contest with a local bus driver, which I lost) because we enjoyed it as a relaxing romp, not a schedule.

If they are interesting enough they should have a list of their own - it sure is a drag when people turn up and expect you to call all the shots huh.

Yeh, Tate modern and surrounds can work well - maybe go up the London Eye etc...

Tourist as hell it gives a first timer in London a little lay of the land.

Good walk through/around Tottenham Court Rd / Soho / Green park / Buckingham Palace

Get the city out of the way fast and in the process discover what they are interested in (theatre, museums, food, pubs, shopping, countryside).

Maybe get them to take the Victoria line into town rather than the heathrow express. Once the tube interest ('mind the gap') has waned, make sure you walk, bus or taxi ... much more to be seen than someone sitting in a big black overcoat, scarves and gloves staring at thier kindle.

As plain and a pain in the ass a lot of London might be for you is new and interesting for someone visiting. Heaps of things in London/UK that seem mundane are reasonably unique.

Friends, occasional bouts of earning and the fact it's such a hub of European travel meant I was there about 1.5 times a year lately - it's a pity but I've cut down my London excitement to about 15 hours worth nowadays.

• Premium Member

I think I am somewhat disadvantaged as the concept of anyone finding London in even the slightest bit exciting is absolutely unfathomable to me. It has absolutely nothing that is not done better elsewhere, is the problem. No matter what you show someone, you're always aware that it's far from the best of its type.

It's a maze of dirty concrete and wet litter, it's ugly and it stinks and I really would like to know why anyone would choose to go there.

P

It has absolutely nothing that is not done better elsewhere, is the problem. No matter what you show someone, you're always aware that it's far from the best of its type.

It's a maze of dirty concrete and wet litter, it's ugly and it stinks and I really would like to know why anyone would choose to go there.

P

Well, in some regards those things are interesting !

Walking to the Tate or maybe chcking out the Lloyds building and surrounds (for an architectural interest) would be better than bloody um, oh dang - now I forgot the name of the square ... ha ha - where you get foamy union jack hats

But yeh - this time of year is a dog

Maybe chuck em on a plane to Paris or Prague ?

ha ha - no, Brighton :lol:

• Premium Member

I think I am somewhat disadvantaged as the concept of anyone finding London in even the slightest bit exciting is absolutely unfathomable to me. It has absolutely nothing that is not done better elsewhere, is the problem. No matter what you show someone, you're always aware that it's far from the best of its type.

P

Take her on a "London walk" if there still doing them, they are very good! The "Jack the Ripper walk"was particularly good I remember.

Anyone from LA will love it. I think they do a Dickens one as well.