on the set live capture workflow

Thangjam Bicky Chengleicha

I have a question that is constantly nagging me......

1.I am thinking of using Sony ex-3 with nikon lenses mounted with letus extreme adapter for my project

2.I am proposing to use Blackmagic Design decklink-sdi/ultrastudio sdi with bnc cables to capture the 4:2:2,10bit HD-SDI out put of ex-3 on a desktop.

So can anyone explain how can i achieve this?I mean how will i have to set up the capture station with RAID-0/5 storage.Can i capture directly live on premiere pro?

• Premium Member

You can use Premiere to capture, but you will find that the Decklink board also comes with a capture utility which probably supports more audio and timecode options, if those things are important to you.

Creating a RAID-5 that will do HD video speeds is considerably more difficult than doing it with 0 or 10; it really depends what your budget and hardware situation is. If I were building a new machine to do it right now, I'd do it RAID-10. The cost (even at current disk prices) is lower than a RAID-5 array using a high-end controller.

The bigger issue is how you're going to back up all the material. Usually people use LTO tape for uncompressed material. LTO is not a cheap format but unless you're content to keep it all on hard disks, there's not a lot of ways to do it.

P

• Premium Member

Well, a forum like this isn't a great place for super in-depth explanations - at some point you need to either look at the gear and try it, or hire someone with experience. If you do some reading around the subject and have some more specific questions, I'm sure we can help.

P

Well, a forum like this isn't a great place for super in-depth explanations - at some point you need to either look at the gear and try it, or hire someone with experience. If you do some reading around the subject and have some more specific questions, I'm sure we can help.

P

thnks for your concern bro,i must experiment before i ask further.until then i appreciate your support.

• Premium Member

At the risk of excessive self-promotion, you could look at these articles I've written on the subject:

On-set data wrangling for digital cinematography

Shoestring data recording part 1

Shoestring data recording part 2

Some of the equipment references there may be slightly out of date, but equipment built for those articles remains in service today so I must have been doing something right.

P

At the risk of excessive self-promotion, you could look at these articles I've written on the subject:

On-set data wrangling for digital cinematography

Shoestring data recording part 1

Shoestring data recording part 2

Some of the equipment references there may be slightly out of date, but equipment built for those articles remains in service today so I must have been doing something right.

P

thnks