Favorite Cinematography of 2011

David Mullen ASC

I would like to add to the list Martha Marcy May Marlene shot by Jody Lee Lipes.

I especially enjoyed the subtleties in many of the compositions throughout the film, it also had a very commendable naturalist look and feel to the film which gives it a very European feeling IMO, Jody serves greatly to the narrative as well, as would/should be expected.

For those that have seen the film one shot that springs to mind is just before the closing shot in the 2nd house robbery scene when the 'family's' Mother appears behind the owner of the house, Maybe it's an obvious moment and readable by most, but I was caught totally off guard with that one.

Along with Tree of Life, Biutiful and Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy.

I rated the above (Martha Marcy May Marlene) 94% on first view. Although it might deserve more.

I just watched The Artist... and rated it 28%. Although it might end up with less.

It's always a bad sign when I start texting people during a film.

Edited by Rex Orwell

Ha.

On Martha Marcy May Marlene - there's some really clever stuff done in this film. The way they switch between present and memory through her replaying actions similar to her past experiences is something I've never seen done before. Very original. It reminds me a little of Winter's Bone but the story is much more energetic and the ending is exactly what I'd look to achieve myself, in it being an open hole forcing the viewer to imagine what may or may not have happened next. Trully excellent filmmaking... I didn't touch my phone once.

Yes, it's a bad sign because if you do that while I am watching a film I will place your cellphone somewhere a cellphone shouldn't be placed, with some violence.

P

Fudging Amen to that Phil!

Rex, you're seriously setting yourself up there mate, no offense.

The Artist is an astounding film, now of course i respect people's decisions and opinions, but 28% and using your phone in a Cinema? Of course that is if you watched it in the CInema?

The Cinematography is impeccable. The sheer fact that it is a Silent movie made in 2011 celebrating the early days of Cinema, a homage to how Filmmaking came about, and you got bored...

I won't say any further.

I HAD to see that film in the Cinema, it isn't likely you'll get a chance for such an event.

On the other hand, back to favourite Cinematography.

What did people think to the sequence at the end of Warhorse?

& Mark, Tyrannosaur was awesomely shot, Erik is doing a Masterclass in Manchester on the 23rd :) Can't wait!!

What did you think of Submarine?

I've still yet to see his Pumpkinheads Project.

Edited by Tom Sykes

& Mark, Tyrannosaur was awesomely shot, Erik is doing a Masterclass in Manchester on the 23rd :) Can't wait!!

What did you think of Submarine?

I've still yet to see his Pumpkinheads Project.

I thank you for the info on the masterclass I'm looking into that as i type,

Submarine i thought was fantastic, i didn't think anyone could make overcast skies look aesthetically pleasing, but he managed it.

Also haven't seen his pumpkin heads project, but ill have to look into that if i get a chance.