focal length extender for 20x

1 hour ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Yes I think the 12-240 I checked was a Bayonet mount zoom.

I happened to be in my old workplace this morning and checked out the Mutar. A Standard mount lens fitted but wasn't held very well - it rotated in the mount and felt a bit loose.

The lock ring does two things, it tightens on the wings of a Bayonet mount and it moves that black tab in your photo out to lock into a Standard mount groove. The button is to unlock the ring once you turn it far enough with a Bayonet mount lens, I don't think it has any effect on Standard mount lenses. So I think you're right that the tab is sticking out too far and not being retracted enough by the lock ring.

Having said that, maybe try pushing in the button while undoing the lock ring in case it allows it to turn further and retract the tab a bit more.

Thanks so much, that's very very generous of you to check and very informative.

I suppose rotating in the mount would be a big problem for a zoom lens? If I wanted to zoom during a shot, I imagine this would wreak havoc? I think the cost of mount conversion to ARRI Bayonet would be high, too.

Maybe I should just return the Mutar and sell the zoom and give up on this endeavor, cool as I think it would be to reconstruct a Kubrick 24-480mm....

Do you think the lens would spin too much to make it useful as a zoom? Thanks again.

Edited by M Joel W

Thanks again! I think I am abandoning this plan for now. I found a PL Mutar for $100 but it had just sold. ?

I think I need to focus on more important/better things and will be abandoning this project for now. Really appreciate the help.

Edited by M Joel W