Notable audio commentaries by cinematographers

Petr Berger

Audio commentaries sometimes offers great information about filmmaking, do you know about any great audio commentaries by cinematographers?

Roger Deakins offered a good commentary on my dvd of "Fargo." Also Jack Cardiff contributed to "the Red Shoes," put out by the Criterion collection. Criterion also did a stellar release of R. Linklater's "Slacker," which included three commentary tracks: one with the director, one with the director and his DP Lee Daniel, and then a rolling commentary featuring many of the members of the massive cast. It is the BEST release I've seen on how to make a high quality, low budget film, and I recommended it to all my film students.

I'm sure others will know of some. Sadly it seems to be a rarity...those that bother to go to the expense of doing an audio commentary at all enlist the director or the actors. To the vast, vast majority of buyers, they could care less who was the DP. And then many of the films where there WOULD be an interest in such a commentary, the DP is dead because the film is older.

Your best bet is to hit up the Criterion Collection. They always do the best commentaries, with interesting people and I'm sure you can find more titles through them with DPs contributing.

• 1 month later...

On the original and superior 1986 film The Hitcher, starring Rutger Hauer, there ia a commentary with DOP John Seale ASC, ACS and first time Director, Robert Harmon. The Special Edition of William Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet there is a commentary from the crew including DOP Donald McAlpine ASC, ACS. The recent release of the B & W silent classic by F W Murnau, Sunrise A Song of Two Humans onto DVD, features among others a commentary by an ASC member who's name escapes me right now. I will have to dig the DVD up. Hope this helps.

Miguel, that ASC page looks like a great resource, thanks! Some of my favorite commentary tracks;

Requiem for a Dream

The Shining

The French Connection

Taxi Driver

Amelie

Saturday Night Fever

Seven

Harsh Times

The Machinist

Donnie Brasco

The Godfather II

Gomorra- Criterion (great behind the scenes features and interviews)

Reservoir Dogs

What doesn't Kill You

A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

American Beauty

The Road to Perdition

Dog Day Afternoon

Sideways (just for the comedy of Giamatti and Church)

There was also a low budget movie called Welcome to the Jungle that had a great commentary/special feature track.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There are some unusually interesting commentaries on the Underworld DVD, against all expectation. I don't think the DP is involved, but there's certainly some amusing discussion particularly of sound design which is an oft-overlooked topic.