widescreen 16:9 to fake 2.35:1 aspect ratio of sony ex3 full raster resolution

Thangjam Bicky Chengleicha

What do you define '2.35 HD resolution' to be in terms of image data (not black bars):

817 x 1920 or 1080 x 2538 ?

Remember that in recording something at a x b resolution you're not going to be able to get any more resolution than a x b. Simply blowing something up, might give you more pixels via interpolation, but not more resolving power (anamorphics just do this on one axis and are not immune when it comes to digital acquisition).

There are tricks to get you more apparent resolution, but for whatever footage they work really well with there will be an example of a situation where they don't.

sorry for the term "faking",i wanted to capture 1920*1080p resolution but wanted the final edited images to look like something which is shot on 2.35:1 aspect ratio 2k or 4k digital cinematography camera.i understand this post must be somewhere in editing forums but i wanted to hear from experienced people who might have encountered such situations .i thought i might use black bars along with 1920*1080p resolution so that it looks like 2.35:1

Edited by Thangjam Bicky Chengleicha

I thought i might use black bars along with 1920*1080p resolution so that it looks like 2.35:1

Which will give you 817 x 1920 image resolution...

Just frame it appropriately (in many cases it's as simple as people using tape on the LCD ...) then then letterbox it in post.

But remember this isn't 'full raster resolution', you'd need to shoot anamorphic for that, but then you're going to be chopping off the sides to get back to 2.35 anyway.