Focus chart?

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Hey Christopher,

As Will mentioned, I printed one out myself. I glued it to the back on my clapboard. Where it helps me is when I'm filming a person and I want there face to in crisp focus and I don't feel completely sure I'm getting it, I flip the clapboard and take advantage of the visual aid it provides for focus.

Tom

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Thanks guys, great to hear. I read about using it for back focus (these back focus charts) and I thought "Hey silly- why not use for getting sharp "front" focus as well". Good to hear that's possible, I'm terrified of making poorly focused shots, 16mm is expensive and grainy enough- throw in some out-of-focus in there I might as well be shooting Super 8!

• Premium Member

16mm is expensive and grainy enough- throw in some out-of-focus in there I might as well be shooting Super 8!

If grain is a concern then just stay away from 500T. That's not even that bad, but it would obviously be the most grainy stock. If you can shoot outside in the light, the new 50D is amazing in 16mm.

Super 16 equipment is collecting dust on rental house shelves right now so you can probably work an amazing deal. Plus, really great 16mm lenses are also sitting on shelves so you're in double luck.