-- My 35mm Dream --

Joe Taylor

In the early 2000's I was the biggest film snob almost to the point of being obnoxious. I bought an Arri 2C and set out to make my 35mm epic: Dead Lonesome

Dead Lonesome

My dream was to shoot this film and have film prints struck from the original negs ala 'roadshow releases.' That dream never happened and I will be damned if it ever does.

Now I have a new dream. To find a good hearted lab who will allow me a generous rate to have my 35mm epic scanned at 2K and if their hearts are really in the right place 4K.

Does anybody know where I might find this lab?

No problem. I'm in the same position as you except I have a 16mm feature that needs scanning. Talk about making deals. LOL. My plan is to go to with a traditional negative cutter for the conform so I least come out with conformed negative. Then get that negative scanned. I'm still researching this to if I actually save $$.

I'm so fed up with the technological arms race going right now with cameras, as well as the crappy 5D aesthetic, and just ever so want to shoot my next doc in 16mm black and white as a big fat eff you to tech obsessed who are ruining the cinema craft.

But as I start adding up the costs of stock, process and telecine...suddenly the 5D looks appealing.

Son of a bitch.

• Premium Member

My most recent budgeting for a feature showed, at the time, that Alphacine had the best deal. Postworks does make deals but they are involved in a lot of medium/higher budget stuff. I dont know what Cinelabs is up to with HD these days but try calling them too. Would love to see your work on BluRay or HD streaming Joe!

Brian, the 5D has never been appealing to anyone who was being really honest with themselves, and I bet you would regret using it (or any slr). There are so many better options.

I'm so fed up with the technological arms race going right now with cameras, as well as the crappy 5D aesthetic, and just ever so want to shoot my next doc in 16mm black and white as a big fat eff you to tech obsessed who are ruining the cinema craft.

But as I start adding up the costs of stock, process and telecine...suddenly the 5D looks appealing.

Son of a bitch.

There are more options in between 16mm and a 5D. The Sony F3 is a good option. If you're looking for deeper depth of field, the EX3 is also good.

Edited by Ravi Kiran