How to meter 16mm with a Dslr

Brady Hall

Hello everyone,

I am shooting a short film on 16mm B&W KODAK TRI-X Reversal Film 7266, I was curious on how to use my Dslr as a light meter. With the film speed at 200, shooting at 24fps, what would I set my Canon Rebel t1i's shutter speed at to expose correctly?

Thanks,

Brady

• Premium Member

1/48th (or 1 50th or 1 60th all relatively close) assuming a 180 degree shutter...

But, of course you should know a DSLR's exposure is in no way a comparison to film, least of all reversal film.... and you would be much better off spending the $200 or so on a real light meter, or finding someone's to borrow.

Tri-X is notoriously hard to expose and a third stop slower under tungsten than under daylight. In theory the above (1/50) will work (although some 16mm cameras have 1/60 shutter speeds or finders that eat 1/3 stop of light), but I agree--just borrow a meter.

Edit: Re: the above answer, there are lots of us in the dSLR crowd who use meters, I'd like to think most serious dSLR shooters use meters.

Edited by M Joel Wauhkonen

I am trying to get a hold of a light meter, as I have used them on my other 16mm films. I am just making a 5 minute short for class, so I needed a way to measure exposure with a tool I had. Thank you all for your help, I hope to afford a light meter soon.

Grab a Gossen Luna-Pro off ebay

Got this tip from Roger Deakin's forum.

Great Cine meter..however, it will be used...so check it's accuracy...local cam shop or friend with a Sekonic.

But mine is spot on and is way faster and easier to use than a newer digital model.... you can adjust for filters and quickly calculate over and under for any speed of filming @ 180 shutter.

I tried to use my DSLR for a film light meter...the readings were really off compared to my Gossen and the internal meter in my Aaton.... so I just trusted the meter and the results were and have been perfect.

I bid on some light meters on eBay, specifically the Gossen Luna Pro as Kip mentioned. However, I do not know if I will get one in time. You guys convinced me to use a light meter, so I saw a SEKONIC FOOT-CANDLE LIGHT METER for rent (8 dollars a weekend, which is the length of my production.). This should be sufficient, yes?