book light

hi all

I have herd the term book light but dont konw what it is?

(a bounce light that goes thrue diffusion???)

one more

lets say Im shooting in living room and the light is caming from outside and far to get even expuser in the room then i close the white curtens to get diffused light

the curtens became the source and the actor how stand next to the window will get

more light then the one sitting inside the room.

what can one do???

ram

A book light diffuses bounce light for a very soft and even field. Picture holding a book half open. Now think of one inside page made of a reflective white surface such as foamcore and the other inside page made of a translucent diffussion material such as silk. Point a bright light into the first page and it will bounce off and project through the second page. This is a book light.

As for the situation with one person at the window being brighter than the person inside the room, either just let them be that way or add another light, perhaps hidden above the window with diffusion to indicate light coming from the same direction. If there is nowhere to rig a light, you can probably tape up a piece of white board and then project a light into it to then reflect light back onto your subject from the correct direction.

Guest Chainsaw

I've never heard that approach called a "book light" either. Mitch, could this terminology be exclusive to the New York region?

In the interest of completeness here is another possible explanation. It may be entirely possible that ramdop mis-heard Nook Light as the aforementioned "book light". If this is the case (highly dubious) here's a pertinent and expository link:

Mole Richardson Nook Lights