Nikkor lens adaptor for Canon

Just checking, I just got 5 very nice old nikkor prime lense (dating from 1979), with matching 1979 nikon slr, at a bargin price. I'd like to use them on my canon dslr and possibly on my Bolex if I find the right adaptors. Are old nikon mount different from the current nikon? I mean like with Canon and the old FD and curent EF mounts...

Just wondering so I order the right adaptors. can I purchase a Nikon F-mount to Canon EF adaptor?

thanks!

Pierre

Just checking, I just got 5 very nice old nikkor prime lense (dating from 1979), with matching 1979 nikon slr, at a bargin price. I'd like to use them on my canon dslr and possibly on my Bolex if I find the right adaptors. Are old nikon mount different from the current nikon? I mean like with Canon and the old FD and curent EF mounts...

Just wondering so I order the right adaptors. can I purchase a Nikon F-mount to Canon EF adaptor?

Why not?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Lens+Fitting+%28Female%29_Nikon&ci=3420&N=4277997813+4289371108+4289371044

from wikipedia:

The Nikon F-mount is one of only two SLR lens mounts (the other being the Pentax K-mount) which were not abandoned by their associated manufacturer upon the introduction of autofocus, but rather extended to meet new requirements related to metering, autofocus, and aperture control. The large variety of F-mount compatible lenses makes it the largest system of interchangeable flange-mount photographic lenses in history. Over 400 different Nikkor lenses are compatible with the system. The F-mount is also popular in scientific and industrial applications, most notably machine vision.

Actually, Nikkor lenses on EOS cameras work quite well, we use this combination all the time in the animation world.

You can use any lens with an iris ring (so not the current G series lenses).

The older AiS lenses work especially well. They have the advantage of nice, solid metal-on-metal focusing helicoids so you can do things like touch the lens during a shot without having the image bounce around, something that is pretty difficult with a lot of the current Canon lenses, which tend to have somewhat looser mechanicals.

Also, of course, you get a fully manual iris.

The current Nikon D lenses are also pretty good on an EOS. Optically they aren't much different from their AiS predecessors, but since they were mechanically re-engineered to include a new focus drive, they are perhaps a little daintier around the focusing than the older lenses.

The Achilles heel of Nikon-on-EOS is the mount adapters. Even the best ones tend to build up a fair amount of slop between all the mating surfaces, and it's quite difficult to get them really tight.

One product you might want to look at are the mount adapters from Leitax (http://www.leitax.com)

The Leitax mount is pretty much as solid as a factory Canon mount. Unlike typical adapter rings which use the bayonet mount, the Leitax mounts are attached with screws - you essentially replace the rear mounting flange on the Nikkor lens with a Canon mount (the operation is reversible - just put the original screws somewhere you won't loose them).