ORWO B&W film

• Premium Member

Today at the Millennium Film Workshop in NYC, I met the North American ORWO film rep. Very nice guy who is operating out of Brooklyn and selling the film online.

Supposedly, the Universal Negative stock (UN 54, 80/100 ASA) that I picked up is a bit better quality than Kodak Plus-X and can be processed as negative or reversal. In any case, 400' cost me $65.00 and he says bulk and student discounts would apply to future orders. Also told me to contact him if I came across any problems.

Great customer service. For anyone else who is unfamiliar with this film stock, I will post results after I shoot some tests.

I love that the 100iso stock can be run as either neg or reversal.

-Rob-

Neg and positive stocks can be run either way regardless - it's how they are optimized for each that gives them the label...

Something in the middle I'd have to guess is optimized for neither ? huh.gif

• Site Sponsor

Neg and positive stocks can be run either way regardless - it's how they are optimized for each that gives them the label...

This is , of course, true and I have had very good results processing B&W Reversal and negative however negative stocks processed as Reversal (Tri-x specifically) my experiences have been not as great. I think there are allot of people would would love to see a Plus-X "replacement" and hopefully the slower Orwo stock will fit that and work well as both negative and reversal.

-Rob-

For all those interested I spoke with ORWOna about this and it was mentioned that the film sold at the Millennium "Fire Sale" was priced below cost for a quick sale, hence "Fire Sale", a percentage of the sale went in support of Millennium Film Workshop a non-profit film company out of NYC. Which everyone should know and support... http://www.millenniumfilm.org/ I wish the prices were that low, but not the case...regardless ORWONA was cool and I know they will support me with my projects in the future...so support them too. www.orwona.com Danke

This is , of course, true and I have had very good results processing B&W Reversal and negative however negative stocks processed as Reversal (Tri-x specifically) my experiences have been not as great. I think there are allot of people would would love to see a Plus-X "replacement" and hopefully the slower Orwo stock will fit that and work well as both negative and reversal.

-Rob-

Hi... the ORWO UN54 (Universal Negative)can be processed in a reversal method... check out the specs here ORWO UN54 Reversal Process

It is common... in Europe i guess

• Site Sponsor

It is common... in Europe i guess

Well hopefully we can help make it common in the USA too as we run probably well more than a million feet of reversal at Cinelab every year. Hopefully we can get some stock this week that I can shoot and that we can try to run in the reversal processor.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Peter, every black-and-white stock can be inversed. Orwo UN 54 is a common negative film like Ilford FP 4 or Kodak PXN. Itʼs got a grey base which covers highlights, so for nice projection there is only Fomapan R as a real reversal stock. Agfa-Scala would be the other such film with an antihalo subbing and a colourless base.

Robert, do you process the 400 speed ORWO N74?

Just shot a 400' roll last week and am looking to try out a new lab along with this new-to-me stock

Thanks

Kip

Well hopefully we can help make it common in the USA too as we run probably well more than a million feet of reversal at Cinelab every year. Hopefully we can get some stock this week that I can shoot and that we can try to run in the reversal processor.

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

Robert, do you process the 400 speed ORWO N74?

Just shot a 400' roll last week and am looking to try out a new lab along with this new-to-me stock

Thanks

Kip

Yes we are committed to being a Orwo partner and we will be running tests in the next week or so.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

For all those interested I spoke with ORWOna about this and it was mentioned that the film sold at the Millennium "Fire Sale" was priced below cost for a quick sale, hence "Fire Sale", a percentage of the sale went in support of Millennium Film Workshop a non-profit film company out of NYC. Which everyone should know and support... http://www.millenniumfilm.org/ I wish the prices were that low, but not the case...regardless ORWONA was cool and I know they will support me with my projects in the future...so support them too. www.orwona.com Danke

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience. I spoke to the ORWOna rep and he agreed to allow me to post his contact information, so here you go:

ORWO North America

George Campbell

917-566-6789

gcampbell@orwona.com

Brooklyn, NY

www.orwona.com

And yes, the film was priced lower at the Millennium Fire Sale, but keep in mind that it also did not have to be shipped. As I was told, that's the primary reason for the higher online prices. So for those of you who are local, contacting George directly and attempting to pick it up rather than get it shipped may be worth it.

Also, not to take anything away from Cinelab, but I have contacted Colorlab in NYC and they have told me that, based on the fact that ORWO UN 54 requires virtually the same processing as Kodak 5231/7231, they would be able to process it.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Today at the Millennium Film Workshop in NYC, I met the North American ORWO film rep. Very nice guy who is operating out of Brooklyn and selling the film online.

Supposedly, the Universal Negative stock (UN 54, 80/100 ASA) that I picked up is a bit better quality than Kodak Plus-X and can be processed as negative or reversal. In any case, 400' cost me $65.00 and he says bulk and student discounts would apply to future orders. Also told me to contact him if I came across any problems.

Great customer service. For anyone else who is unfamiliar with this film stock, I will post results after I shoot some tests.

Hi Bill, could you please explain the "bit better quality"? I'm very interested in the ORWO, how could I get in touch with the representative? Is there a website I can use to get the film?

Do you have information about other 16mm BW film stocks available other than Kodak's?

thanks

• Site Sponsor

I have 400' of each stock now and I am shooting tests this weekend I plan on splitting the 400' roll of 54 and running half of it as negative and half as Reversal. Cinelab runs B&W negative and B&W Reversal and we are looking forward to having a general Plus-X replacement in both baths.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

Hi Bill, could you please explain the "bit better quality"? I'm very interested in the ORWO, how could I get in touch with the representative? Is there a website I can use to get the film?

Do you have information about other 16mm BW film stocks available other than Kodak's?

thanks

I posted all of the information you are looking for in the message directly above yours.