35 mm lens and super 16 coverage

guim ster

Hi,

Do you guys know if the Schneider Arriflex Cine Xenon 28mm f2 covers super 16 ?

And the Zeiss Jena Arriflex 35mm f/2 ?

And Schneider-Kreuznach Cinegon 16mm 1.4 ? All of them on arri st mount.

It's 35 mm lenses so it should cover super 16 gate ?

But i've redden that some short focal length doesn't. It's for mount on an arri SR2 super 16 modified and PL mount.

Thanks a lot

G.//

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Any 35mm format lens will easily cover S16. In fact the image circle will be so much larger that you need to be careful of any shiny areas in the mirror cavity around the gate that may reflect light back onto the film.

Schneider never made a 16 for 35mm format, only for 16mm and CCTV. The 1.4/16 Cinegon was the CCTV design for 1" tubes, so it will cover S16. But it was built to lower specifications than the 16mm format Cine-Xenons, 1.9/16 (for S16) and the earlier 2/16, which vignettes.

• 8 years later...
On 5/31/2012 at 4:20 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

Schneider never made a 16 for 35mm format, only for 16mm and CCTV. The 1.4/16 Cinegon was the CCTV design for 1" tubes, so it will cover S16. But it was built to lower specifications than the 16mm format Cine-Xenons, 1.9/16 (for S16) and the earlier 2/16, which vignettes.

Isn't the 2/16 Cine-Xenon newer than the 1.9/16mm?

What about the 16mm f2 Cinegon?

I like the rendering of the Cine-Xenons (more than the Cinegon) but is there a wide lens for S16 to complete the set? The Arriflex 10mm Cinegon doesn't cover S16, correct?

Have you used the 16-44mm f0.95 Angenieux btw? Such an interesting looking lens but I can't imagine it's sharp wide open.

Do you know if the 17.5-50mm Angenieux with the retro adapter covers S16.

Bad lenses on digital was cool before S16 was cool maybe now bad lenses on S16 is extra cool.

Edited by M Joel W

• Premium Member

I don’t remember where I got my information from 8 years ago. I was working at a different rental house with lots of older lenses, but also Schneider used to have a very good online archive of info on all their older cine and CCTV lenses. Unfortunately they removed the archive sometime around 2012.

Schneider lenses are quite difficult to gauge because they made a variety over many years with modifications along the way. I never came across a 10mm that covered S16, but I think there was a 1” CCTV version that covers.

I don’t know about those Angenieuxs sorry.