Is there anyway to change the picture profile of your footage in post?

Niall Conroy

It seems highly unlikely - but does anyone know of a method or way in which you can change the picture profile style of footage you have shot, while in post? (Canon DSLR)

I'm guessing once you shoot with X picture profile style you're stuck with it -but could you even access the attributes of the picture profile style and then apply them to the grading of the footage?

the reason i ask - I have beautiful high contrast + grainey picture profile style which I would like to shoot a few scenes with - however - I would like to shoot it in colour first, just in case it doesn't fit too well with the other scenes.

I'm aware that I could just shoot with a Marvels Cine flat style and then just try match the grade to the other black and white picture profile style(with a short reference video shot of scene) - but it'll never be the same

any ideas?

Hi Niall. The only reason you can change the picture profile after shooting is that you are taking raw still pictures. When you shoot video that's H264 which means that the gamma (doesn't matter which picture profile you chose) has been "apply" already. It is like shooting any kind of video format, either you go for rec709 or hypergamma (Sony) or log if you are shooting video there is no way back. (of course if you go for a log option you'll have more range in post)

The only way to be able to change the gamma after shooting is recording RAW (motion picture or still)

I hope it's useful. Cheers!

• 1 month later...