lens height

Josh Bass

So watching various narrative tv shows and movies recently, ive noticed that even in "typical" shots (that is, not a low angle/high angle/sylized shots), and even on closeups, the lens seems to be below eye level, about level with chin/neck. Now that i look for it, i notice it happens a lot. I never think too much about it, and when im shooting usually set lens height to eye level with the subject, but im not seeing this much if ever in high end tv/movie camerawork. Just wondering if theres a reasoning behind it? Insights? Thanks.

It can often be directly related to the height of the operator. If you're 5' 10", like I am, then a comfortable working height while standing would put the lens at about 5' 4", which is slightly above eye level for the majority of women, and slightly below for men. Even when working on a dolly, operators will often choose a height which approximates how they see the world.

That makes sense in a from a technical standpoint (especially if handheld), but seems weird that a director or production would be concerned enough about operator comfort to let it ride, seems like it's more of a directorial decision to have the shot composed that way, no?

I'm thinking specifically at this moment of an episode of 30 Rock I saw the other night, where Salma Hayek (likely not very tall) was talking to Alec Baldwin. Camera was way below baldwin, but even on her, it was either at her eye level or at chin/neck level.

I'm just wondering if most folks agree there's something aesthetically pleasing about people looking slightly over the lens for their eyeline rather than below or at the same level, or if it is usually more flattering for backgrounds (obviously depends on the BG), or what.

Edited by Josh Bass

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 5'6" and I often found myself standing on apple boxes. I didn't let my height dictate the shot. But coincidentally, it's a good height for shooting actors. Don't get so much locked into a camera height. Think about what looks good.