Female DP. Here is my portfolio.

I'm a 23 year old female Director of Photography living in San Francisco, CA and making my way down to LA in the next few months. There's 5-6 narrative films I'm proud of that I've shot recently which have not been put into my Demo Reel yet because they're still in the editing process. I shoot narrative, music video, and fashion films. I know my style, I know what type of jobs I'll be asked to shoot over others, and I realize I still have a lot to learn. I'd like any critique, opinions, and comments from professional Cinematographers.

www.cargocollective.com/kateariz

www.kateariz.com

Thank you,

Katelin Arizmendi

I don't think you can, but you can report it to the mod, and they will understand :)

Did you shoot on film? some of the material looks like super 16? but its hard to tell cause of the video player res.

Good use of colors and composition.

You can also list what type of camera's you are familiar with on your website

ex.

Working knowledge of the following: 16mm and 35mm film camera systems - Aaton XTR-Prod, Arriflex 16SR2, Arriflex 235, Panavision Panaflex Millennium.

HD video camera systems – RED ONE MX, Panasonic AG-HPX372EN , Panasonic HVX-200, Canon 7D/5D

Yes Paul, a decent amount of my reel is on film but I plan on taking some of the Super 16mm out because I often get jobs from new Directors who think they can get that "look" when they hire me but with shooting HD because they somehow think I'm capable of that like it's part of my "style" and don't realize it's a whole different medium in itself. I do however plan to keep shooting 16mm for music videos and fashion films, even if that means whipping out a bolex. Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, that's definitely true. But I do want to replace a lot of it with footage that showcases my lighting more, which my latest work does, as opposed to good composition and obviously great colors that come from shooting on film. I'm just waiting for the directors to give me all the footage to update my reel.

Point taken.

But, it is nice to see woman getting into cinematography. Is it me or is this field way too male? I am not even sure how many women actually frequent this site. Great reel, best of luck in LA. I would keep my very best on there or perhaps have more than one show reel.

Edited by Chris Burke

Thank you Chris Burke. I thought about having a Narrative reel separate from music video and fashion but at the same time, I think I bring a lot of my same style to all three of the mediums, and the chances of someone looking at more than one of my reels is probably pretty low. Thanks for the good luck! And yes, there definitely do need to be more women in Cinematography AND on this site. I see VERY few. Hence why I did feel like pointing out my gender. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

:)

Katelin,

I really enjoyed checking out your portfolio. Your videos are cool and fast paced. I also like you still work in particular the "Rooster's Den" series.

Do you use continuous lighting in your still work or switch to strobes? The Rooster's Den series looks like it is lit with soft overcast daylight.

I am not a pro...not in this industry at least :) but I wish you the best in the future.

Jesse

Edited by Jesse Starks

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jesse! I use continuous lighting for stills, and RARELY flashes (only used that with the yashica t4 because it has a decent built in flash). I mainly do Cinematography and Photography is somewhat new to me so I'm not familiar with strobe lights or typical photography lights. That series was lit naturally like you said with overcast sunshine. Thanks so much for the feedback!