Beware of these eBay auctions

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I'm posting this in two separate places because I want folks to be warned.

Don't know what's going on, but right now I can count five eBay auctions for Arriflex cameras where the auction does not include the camera eyepiece. Just to make it clear, finding an Arriflex eyepiece for one of these cameras is a very expensive proposition so please, Buyer Beware. If you buy one of these cameras without an eyepiece, it is completely unusable as it is, and acquiring an eyepiece is going to set you back hundreds of dollars. The individuals who are listing these auctions never mention the eyepieces are missing. Don't want any newbies to be taken advantage of.

Arriflex IIB

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

There is also an individual who keeps listing an Arriflex 16BL without the eyepiece.

Remember, if you buy an Arriflex motion picture camera without an eyepiece, you don't have a motion picture camera, you have a boat anchor.

Buyer Beware.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

I'm posting this in two separate places because I want folks to be warned.

Don't know what's going on, but right now I can count five eBay auctions for Arriflex cameras where the auction does not include the camera eyepiece. Just to make it clear, finding an Arriflex eyepiece for one of these cameras is a very expensive proposition so please, Buyer Beware. If you buy one of these cameras without an eyepiece, it is completely unusable as it is, and acquiring an eyepiece is going to set you back hundreds of dollars. The individuals who are listing these auctions never mention the eyepieces are missing. Don't want any newbies to be taken advantage of.

Arriflex IIB

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

There is also an individual who keeps listing an Arriflex 16BL without the eyepiece.

Remember, if you buy an Arriflex motion picture camera without an eyepiece, you don't have a motion picture camera, you have a boat anchor.

Buyer Beware.

Best,

-Tim

Interestingly Kinemanan is a reputable company who I have bought loads of Mitchell parts over the years, perhaps you should ask some questions & see what they say.

Best Stephen

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

Not sure I would hold them in the same esteem as you do, especially since they are trying to get $1500 for an Arriflex 16M with no eyepiece. Picked up the same camera about five years ago for $500, with two mags and that same lens, and mine actually had an eyepiece.

Here is a copy of the eBay question I sent about both auctions:

No Eyepiece

Hi, I saw your Arriflex 16S camera listed on eBay. I run the Arri16s.com website. There are many "newbies" who are interested in getting a 16mm camera to make their first films. Your auction doesn't mention that the camera does not come with an eyepiece and I fear many "newbies" may buy a camera like this and not realize they cannot use it to make their film. Would it be possible for you to state clearly in the auction that the camera does not have an eyepiece, and that the winning bidder would need to purchase an eyepiece before they would be able to use the camera to shoot film?

Best,

-Tim

Have not heard back yet, but if I do, I will post here.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Hi Stephen,

Just received the following from Kinemanan:

Have updated the listing to include the Eye piece....

Thanks for the heads up.

So the two cameras at auction from Kinemanan now have an eyepiece listed in the auction, though the images of the cameras don't have eyepieces with them. It's strange, as even though Kinemanan has written "Eyepiece" into the listing, there is still wording about anything not shown in the pictures is not included. And why would you remove the eyepieces from the cameras, then take pictures of the cameras for the auctions.

I don't get it.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

They used to do low starting bid auctions without reserve, I guess that does not work now! They used to sell of a huge amount of ex government stock. Once I bought something that was not complete, they just sent me another one without me having to send the first one back!

Hi Stephen,

Just received the following from Kinemanan:

Have updated the listing to include the Eye piece....

Thanks for the heads up.

So the two cameras at auction from Kinemanan now have an eyepiece listed in the auction, though the images of the cameras don't have eyepieces with them. It's strange, as even though Kinemanan has written "Eyepiece" into the listing, there is still wording about anything not shown in the pictures is not included. And why would you remove the eyepieces from the cameras, then take pictures of the cameras for the auctions.

I don't get it.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

They used to do low starting bid auctions without reserve, I guess that does not work now! They used to sell of a huge amount of ex government stock. Once I bought something that was not complete, they just sent me another one without me having to send the first one back!

Stephen,

If they're selling government surplus that would make sense as far as the eyepieces missing. Also, in cases like that, you're looking at more of a parts camera. When you get a surplus camera that is missing parts, the government has been using it as a parts camera. I'd be very cautious in a case like that.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Stephen,

If they're selling government surplus that would make sense as far as the eyepieces missing. Also, in cases like that, you're looking at more of a parts camera. When you get a surplus camera that is missing parts, the government has been using it as a parts camera. I'd be very cautious in a case like that.

Best,

-Tim

They say it's been film tested, so I assume it's complete & working. They offer a 30 day limited guarantee & allow inspections. On the Me page one of the names Dara Reusch is the person I always delt with 10 years ago. Feedback is 99.8% with over 1100 sales in the last year. I don't think they are scammers or intend to rip people off.

• Premium Member

I don't think they are scammers or intend to rip people off.

Not saying either. It's just that buying a surplus motion picture camera that appears to have been used as a parts camera (ergo the missing parts) is something I would be very cautious about. Big organizations don't start cannibalizing their best working cameras, they usually start with the lesser ones. And you know as well as I how delicate a motion picture camera's mechanicals can be. If you were planning on taking the camera and having a CLA done, then I think you would be fine, as long as you got an eyepiece, power cord, motor, magazine cavity cover, and the serial number on the camera door and the camera body matched. Then, after a CLA, (which is going to run you anywhere from $600 - $1100) you would have a nice camera, though you would still need a battery pack and lenses.

Again, if they are selling government surplus, then I'm not saying they're scammers or intend to rip people off. And again, I am referring to the two cameras Kinemanan has for auction. I am still very suspicious about the other three auctions.

Best,

-Tim