AFI Cinematography applicants, students, alumni

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i dont think u need to worry about that Gino! I'm pretty average in "regular" classes myself. And I asked the admissions manager JJ about it and he mentioned that previous grades are not that important, they only wanted to see my transcript to see whether or not I was getting my bachelors degree in order to qualify for the masters. But he said itll look kinda bad if your a complete failure in your classes but overall not as important as your work sample or essay.

MAyrock: yea i feel the EXACT SAME way about my cell phone too...i dont like talking over the phone (unless its someone like Stephen Lighthill)...sometimes i just keep it off

--and thanks for the info about the instructor, ive been planning to get that book for some time now...now ive got even more initiative lol!!!

wow, great news guys!!! congrats!! you must be on cloud 9!!

unfortunately i have yet to recieve a call. my fingers are still crossed, but i guess the fact that people were called, and i wasn't among them isn't too good of a sign for me, huh? should i still hold out hope or is it basically a done deal?

anyway, don't let me rain on your parade. i'm happy for you guys, you seemed to really want it badly, so good work!!!!!

take it easy. dan.

i'm in too! got the call from stephen lighthill on tuesday (4/11). i was completely caught off guard because i wasn't expecting to hear from AFI until after the 14th. looking forward to meeting all of you in fall. it's gonna be a busy year!

Hey mike! Can you tell us a little bit about your experience in the first year...i mean by now we all know what the year entails but I'd love to hear it from someone who just experienced it. Whenever you get time though. I can imagine you're probably busy...

Hey Everyone,

Congrats to those who were accepted!!!

Hmmm...Haven't received a call yet, or a letter. It's Monday eve on the 17th. Is there anyone else who hasn't received any notification??

I'm biting my nails like crazy!!!

Can you tell us a little bit about your experience in the first year.

I've had an overall positive experience with it so far, right now I'm doing some preproduction for my third cycle film so I'm a bit busy as you can guess. The main strengths of the program for me have been working with a lot of talented people and Bill Dill's class. Working on set every week has been great because I've been able to learn from other cinematographers, but the schedule does take its toll after awhile. I'm just getting off of spring break after twelve straight weeks of crewing, so I probably have a more positive take on it now than I would have a week ago...

Maybe Miguel (second year) or Jason (just graduated) can chime in with their respective takes on it, it's interesting to see four years of AFI students interacting on here which seems like a positive sign to me. I'd be happy to answer anybody's specific questions off list also, good luck everybody with your decisions.

Hi ,my name is Saba.

And im very much so interested in AFI, and i was wondering how much is the tuition actully.. Cuz it says on the website its aobut 56000, but i want to know how much did u pay? And are you staying on Campuse.. or is there one? And hows the curiculum.. is it more studying or more hands on? Do you have midterms? finals?

And do you think its worth the money to fo to AFI, i heard it is. but what do you think?

THanks..

Saba

benji -

i have yet to recieve a call or letter as well. as far as i know, this means that it's not looking too good for us. i believe that Mr. Lighthill calls everyone who is accepted and seems to have already made those calls last week.

the only thing that i am not sure about is the fact that they need to have exactly 28 cinematography students. and i'm a sure a number of those accepted will decide not to enroll. so there must be some sort of waiting list, or back-ups who find out that they get in later. for those of you who are accepted, by when do you need to tell them if you are in fact going to enroll???? does anyone else have any insight? is all hope completely lost (for this year at least) for those of us who have yet to be contacted?

i'm just beggining to come to terms with my heartbreak. but who knows, maybe there's still a sliver of hope???

take it easy.

-dan

• Premium Member

You're quite correct Dan - not everyone decides to attend and as such AFI has a waiting list for each discipline (as an interesting side note, some of the best directors from my class were all wait listed.....go figure). It's important to note, though, that it's usually producing and directing that go to the wait-lists (most Cinematographers accept); if you are called, it's typically with a ridiculously short notice (one person was called 2 days before classes began and had to move from another country).

• 2 months later...

My first post here :D

The AFI program splits up into two years. If I am correct not all (cinematography) students get to stay for the second year.

Could maybe someone clarify this for me how it works. I think it is quite a gamble if you go, but cannot stay for the second year.

How many get to stay for the second year? Why are some asked to leave?

What is the second year like in comparisson to the first? Do you learn more or is it just another year to do the thesis project?

Another question. Do you have to work on a fellow AFI director student film for your thesis or can you do your own thesis production as a cinematographer?

Thanx in advance

Oh, and it would be interesting to know what the prior experiences are people have who get into the program.

Like what undergrad degree they have from where?

How many films have they worked on and what media?

If they already have won some awards or if the people are beginners and just know the basics?

So many questions :P

Edited by fl1x

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That makes two of us!

While reading the posts on this thread and the info on the AFI webpage I get the feeling the phone calls should be happening about now... So I'm anxious too!

Where are you applying from?

M. Vian

Forgot to say, I'm applying from Portugal, so I'm hoping I have the time to plan a trip to LA in case I get the call...!

Just moved to LA from Texas. Yeah its pretty nerve wrecking but as badly as I want it I understand that there is always a very large and TALENTED pool of applicants.

I wish you the best over the next couple of weeks.

That makes two of us!

While reading the posts on this thread and the info on the AFI webpage I get the feeling the phone calls should be happening about now... So I'm anxious too!

Where are you applying from?

M. Vian

Forgot to say, I'm applying from Portugal, so I'm hoping I have the time to plan a trip to LA in case I get the call...!

The anticipation is killing me too. Did anyone else get the large financial aid package sent in the mail last week? What a tease! When do they start making the calls?

Best of luck to everyone!

Anyway it's good to know that none of us got the call... I guess they haven't started them yet... or I hope so!

That financial aid package, did you request it?

Or they just sent it?

Does it say anything about International students? :)

Good luck!

I dont think I requested it, but I might have. I didnt really look through it, I was more upset it wasnt an acceptance letter haha. I do live about a mile away from the school so maybe thats why I got it before you. Who knows?

Best of Luck

Cheers