AFI Cinematography applicants, students, alumni

• Premium Member

AFI sends those financial aid packages to everyone who made the last round of interviews, but it doesn't neccessarily mean everyone who gets one is accepted; since the financial aid process is long and complicated, they want people thinking about it early.

Typically, they don't notify people about their acceptance into the program until early-to-mid April, so I'd suggest you not be running to the mailbox every day waiting for a letter - still a few weeks off.

Also keep in mind that they have an alternate list - if someone decides not to attend, AFI has a list of alternates who get a call at the last minute to come join the program; it's rare, but it happens.

The waiting is the worst part, but try not to dwell on it.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jayson. Yeah, the waiting part isn't to fun, but I'm trying to keep busy. I'm shooting my undergrad thesis right now, gotta finish undergrad before I can do my MFA :)

Anyone recieve a call yet?

Uh-oh. That's not good news (at least for me). Rick, do you know if all (or most of) the calls have gone out?

And a question for Jayson: How sure are you that people who received a financial packet make it to the interview stage?

Thanks for the info and congrats to those who got the call,

Matt

Fear not. According to the admissions office they have only begun calls. My guess would be calls will go out till the end of the week. Again thats my guess. Best wishes guys.

Uh-oh. That's not good news (at least for me). Rick, do you know if all (or most of) the calls have gone out?

And a question for Jayson: How sure are you that people who received a financial packet make it to the interview stage?

Thanks for the info and congrats to those who got the call,

Matt

Hello everyone!

I got a call today!

Unfortunately I was driving in the freeway, returning from a shoot, and I couldn't hear a thing (I was driving the camera truck!), couldn't pull over, and it's illegal to answer your phone while driving!, so I had to ask to call me later...!

So far I haven't had a call back, but I'm hoping it'll come soon!

I screamed like crazy when I hang up the phone...!

This was around 5.30 PM in Portugal (9.30 AM in LA)....

So now I just have to wait (a little bit more!), but I'm hoping it's good news!

Good luck everyone!

Martim

Well after anxious waiting and restless nights I never got a call. I am pretty disappointed that I didnt even get to interview but I guess there was just a big list of far more talented folk. Whats a man to do? It sucks because I got all excited after jayson said that those that make the last rounds get that financial aid package. Well I got it and was never called for an interview. Friend of mine has her interview tomorrow so I can only assume they have already made all their calls. Congrats to all those who got a call and knock em dead in the interview. Who knows maybe Ill still see in a couple years.

Best

Me

I got a call back yesterday, and I have my interview this Friday (the 23rd).

Oh, and I'm flying to LA this Thursday for it...! crazy stuff...

Anyway, I only got a call back yesterday, and when I scheduled my interview, there were still a lot of openings. Maybe it isn't over yet...! I'm crossing my fingers for you guys.

I'll be staying in LA until Monday the 26th, so if anyone wants to meet for coffee it would be great!

I have no idea what to expect from LA (I went there when I was 12, but all I can remember is Disney Land... :unsure:), and I'm guessing I'll be kind of lost all the time!

It would be nice to meet other applicants and fellows from AFI.

Good luck everyone!

M.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything about final decisions.

I had a last minute phone interview last week.

Maybe they are delayed this year?

I remember last year they made calls the week before the deadline.

Hopefully they will be making calls over the weekend??

Congratulations and good luck to all who got the call today from Stephen regarding addmission. I am incredibly excited to be a part of the 07-08 class at AFI and I can not wait to get to meet all of the others! And I hope to see everyone who didnt get in apply the following year so we can all hang out and work together. take care and god bless!

Rick,

I got the call this morning. I'll be seeing you in August!

Great stuff!

For those who did not receive the call this week,

Last year I applied as well. Got the interview. Then waited night and day by the phone...and it never came.

It was disappointing at first, but I knew right away I was going to apply again the next year.

This year I'm humbled and honored to have been accepted.

Don't take it too hard!

Keep working and apply next year!

After all, the application deadline is only several months away...

They did mention that they prefered my having *more work experience* than when I applied the previous years.

This year I also had very solid *recommendations* compared to the previous year.

Keep in mind when applying again...

I thought it was purely a matter of talent, but experience and "years since graduation" also is a big factor.

Keep the faith. You will make it!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I applied for AFI cinematography program for this fall, I submitted only one short film that I made for the purpose of applying to AFI, I got interviewed based on that but unfortunately didn't get accepted. I am going to re-apply for next fall, I I need some advice from people who went to AFI and maybe can share the portfolio that got them accepted to AFI f. Perhaps you guys can give me suggestions on making a stronger portfolio.

Anybody here got accepted this year? What kind of work did you guys submit to AFI? what are they looking for in an applicant's work?

Here is the film I submitted last year:

http://www.vimeo.com/1197408

Any comments are suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

Hong

• 1 year later...

This is one of the best threads out here in the forum.

It's fantastic to see all the posters in various stages - pre-application, pre-interview and finally speaking as fellows.

I think since the fall deadline has passed, it's time for all the aspiring 2010-11 applicants to come out and discuss their applications, chances and showreels.

Let's keep with the tradition and revive the thread.

This is one of the best threads out here in the forum.

It's fantastic to see all the posters in various stages - pre-application, pre-interview and finally speaking as fellows.

I think since the fall deadline has passed, it's time for all the aspiring 2010-11 applicants to come out and discuss their applications, chances and showreels.

Let's keep with the tradition and revive the thread.

Very true, I've read through this thread like if I was studying notes for a test.

I am currently studying Cinematography in the NYFA, but I hope to apply to AFI next year.

I'm still undecided if I should go for Cinematography, or Directing. I'm guessing I have a better chance with Cinematography though.

I would love to hear from some more guys who are planning on applying.....Keep the thread going!

Very true, I've read through this thread like if I was studying notes for a test.

I am currently studying Cinematography in the NYFA, but I hope to apply to AFI next year.

I'm still undecided if I should go for Cinematography, or Directing. I'm guessing I have a better chance with Cinematography though.

I would love to hear from some more guys who are planning on applying.....Keep the thread going!

How is cinematography at nyfa?

I'm planning to apply for it but I'm a little afraid because of its short duration and its cost.

I feel it'll rush past me and before I know it, I'd be a lot poorer.

But maybe it's actually good.

Please give details on your experiences.

How is cinematography at nyfa?

I'm planning to apply for it but I'm a little afraid because of its short duration and its cost.

I feel it'll rush past me and before I know it, I'd be a lot poorer.

But maybe it's actually good.

Please give details on your experiences.

It's very hands-on. We do a lot of projects, we get to be the dp on a thesis project to one of the filmmaking students, and we also get to do our own thesis films (we're recommended to bring in a outside director, but I like directing my own things).

One of the good things about the program, is that only a few of the other projects have you using 35mm at all, we use it a lot. And almost no other school will teach you to shoot in Red, we get to shoot a few different projects on it (including our thesis film.)

It's a 1 year course, which I think is enough, I have friends studying at NYU, and Colombia, there doing 4 year course, and they don't learn at the level we learn, or do they get the hands on experience. And come on 4 years?? You learn filmmaking through DOING, not through READING.

but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

It's very hands-on. We do a lot of projects, we get to be the dp on a thesis project to one of the filmmaking students, and we also get to do our own thesis films (we're recommended to bring in a outside director, but I like directing my own things).

One of the good things about the program, is that only a few of the other projects have you using 35mm at all, we use it a lot. And almost no other school will teach you to shoot in Red, we get to shoot a few different projects on it (including our thesis film.)

It's a 1 year course, which I think is enough, I have friends studying at NYU, and Colombia, there doing 4 year course, and they don't learn at the level we learn, or do they get the hands on experience. And come on 4 years?? You learn filmmaking through DOING, not through READING.

I will be applying for 2010-2011 this fall, as well as USC, UCLA, LA City College too. In the meantime, I'm going to take my 5D and shoot some films and get all my application materials in order. (my undergrad is in Photography)

I cant really afford it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Its just more incentive to become a stellar DP.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you in part, although, there is much more to filmmaking than getting your hands on a Red camera. A four year program provides a much stronger foundation for a student in the arts. As cinematographers we are not simply technicians. Perhaps I am just standing up for the four year program I am in (Columbia College Chicago) but, I still find I'm lacking the time to study all areas of the arts in order to have the eye and knowledge to eventually make long lasting, important images. And along the way I get to take classes on photo theory, image optics, image design, camera seminar (where we are trained on nearly every 16mm camera, and a range of 35mm). All the while shooting and crewing on projects almost every weekend. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to shoot on Columbia's Panavision, but my Philosophical Issues in Film course started the buzz in my head to keep thinking and reaching for meaning.

Blah, Blah, Blah... im done. Good luck on getting into AFI next fall. Hopefully I will get the chance to see all of you the following year!

• 2 weeks later...
COME ON!

REVIVE THIS THREAD GUYS!

I Know a lot of you've applied and are waiting for results...

Live these weeks through the thread please :)

I second Rekoj's request. It really is helpful to students who are looking forward to apply there. This thread is WAY more thorough than any website could be.

I second Rekoj's request. It really is helpful to students who are looking forward to apply there. This thread is WAY more thorough than any website could be.

Well I have not heard back about getting an interview so far, but I know the calls are going out. I hope they are just hitting local people last. I am getting pretty nervous, but hopefully I hear something soon.